When is day 1?

To some people, day 1 can be the day you put the eggs in. To others it can be the day after they have had a full day of development. Or you can look at it as they are on their second day of development or they have completed two days of development. I can see why people get confused. When people talk about which day, think of it as the end of day whatever.

There was just another thread on here about this that would have helped and I cannot find it. There is a simple way to look at when the eggs should hatch. If you start the eggs on a Wednesday, they will hatch on a Wednesday. (I stole this from that other thread)

Chicken eggs take about 21 days to develop and hatch. Some are a bit faster or slower but about 21 days. The eggs have not had 24 hours of development the instant you put them in the incubator. It takes 24 hours to get 24 hours of development. If you have a photo that says, when you candle at day 10, the development should look like this, that is after 10 full days of development. It is not after 9 days and 1 second of development. If you are looking at hatch day, it is at the end of 21 full days of development.

It can be a bit confusing. Hope this helps.

Quote:
hahaha I remember when I in the middle of incubation and I was thinking too hard on when was day 1. Then I went nuts and I asked BYC and they gave me a response
smile.png
but unfortunately i don't remember at all since this was last year

Quote:
This does help alot. I agree with the 24hr timing. I started at 7am so at 7am the next day is 1 day of incubation. This is when day 2 "starts" and not day 1 has I have had so many people tell me, right?

Oops, got to run but will check in later for your replys. Once again thank you all for all your great advice and for being sooooooo nice!
hugs.gif
Have a great day and God bless!!

Thats right,You set your eggs at 7:00AM this morning so the rest of today you are on day one.Tomorow at 7:00AM will be the end of day one,start of day two.If you mark days on the calender,It will help if you write,for example,end of day 10,or end of day 21.Good Luck with your hatch.
smile.png

yeah, i set mine in the bator on March 10th at 7pm in the evening. i considered the next day (the 11th) day one. but then you set yours at 7am....so would've considered the day u set them in as day 1.

Ok one more question. Should they hatch within the 24hr of day 21 or should they hatch at the end of the 24hr peroid of day 21 which would meen that they would actually hatch on day 22? Thanks again everyone for all of your help!!

They are not all going to hatch at exactly the same time. It would be a lot less stressful on us if they would, but when did chickens go out of their way to reduce our stress in anything related to hatching. They will hatch around 504 hours after you set them. This is 21 days worth of development with 24 hours in each of those days. Some could be earlier and some could be later.

If you put them in at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday May 13, they should hatch around 7:00 a.m. Saturday April 3. Some may hatch April 2nd. Some may hatch April 3rd. Some may even wait until April 4th. But they should hatch around 7:00 a.m. on April 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom