When is it a draft vs a breeze?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gabby3535, May 8, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay...........another question...
    When is it considered "a breeze", vs "a draft"???
    I am assuming a draft is moving air that might "chill" a chicken?
    And a breeze is moving air that would "cool" a chicken?
    (i.e..........if it's 65-70 degrees out, and humid, as it will be here tonight
    .........and you don't want to overheat the girls by closing the coop windows..........
    but thunderstorms are predicted, with strong breezes .........
    is it okay to leave the windows open for that breeze?????)
    There is a ridge vent running the entire length of the coop, plus 2 quite large,
    gable-end, louvered vents......up high on the front and back walls, as well............
    in addition to the 2 windows of which I am speaking...................

okay to leave them open tonight??

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    im sure it would be ok..mine love to be out in the rain, for whatever reason! at night though, i just leave their little door open to get some fresh air.

3. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooooops, I forgot to mention.............these are "6+week-old", pretty "fully-feathered" babies...........
    does that make a difference to anyone's reply????

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Yes they will be just fine, mine are also the same age, and they are doing great, I leave my window open all night long and all the time.

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Drafts won't be an issue until winter....

Consider it like this... During spring and summer you can stand by an open door with your socks off and it won't phase you a bit.. Come winter time though when you shut the door, if that seal is bad at the bottom there can be a high velocity draft that blows in at your toes... So standing there, on an icy morning looking out across the yard, you won't want to stand by that door long as your feet will become quite cold from that draft.

So break it down to.. Those air leaks which don't so much move the air as much as they just blast cold air at you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by