When is it safe for them to go out?

cuttingedge1975

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2016
Approximately when can I put my chicks out in the coop?
They are only three weeks old and are outgrowing the large dog crate brooder that we have set-up.
I was thinking maybe next week, I could leave them in the coop and close off the run so they can't go outside unless I or my wife is out with them.
What's the consensus with daytime temps being in the mid to upper 60's and night time temps in the mid to upper 40's?

Are you able to hang a low wattage bulb inside the coop?? Three weeks is certainly not too young to put in the coop. But three weeks is too young for 40 degree nights. If they were fully feathered out, I'd say yes, but none of my chicks have ever been fully feathered out until they were 5 or 6 weeks old. I have put tiny ones in my coop, but only with a (well secured) heat lamp...about 100 watts so that they'd have a warm-up area.

Yes, I have a brooder lamp that I can put out in the coop with them. I was thinking that I could put the dog crate in the coop and hang the brooder lamp above it for them to have a "warmer spot". Maybe I can confine them to the crate at night?

Yes, I have a brooder lamp that I can put out in the coop with them. I was thinking that I could put the dog crate in the coop and hang the brooder lamp above it for them to have a "warmer spot". Maybe I can confine them to the crate at night?

Yes, that should work just fine! For added safety, you could drill a few small holes around the outer edges of the lamp and wire it directly onto the top of the dog crate (assuming its a wire style crate). At least if you're using a smaller wattage bulb (you can get 60-150 in the reptile sections of most pet stores), that'll put the heat source a little closer to them, yet it'll be safe. I know they will LOVE the extra space of being in their new coop...and I'm sure you'll appreciate the lack of dust in your home!! LOL!

I was such a nervous nellie that first night of putting chicks out into the coop - it's a relief yet nerve-racking at the same time...

Thanks for all of the advice. I have to build a "chicken door in the coop and make the roosting bars and then the inside is complete. I will probably put them out mid next week.

Back
Top Bottom