When is it time to meet and greet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TrixiePA, May 19, 2009.

1. TrixiePA

TrixiePA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    South Central PA
    I've got 3 separate brooders going here. 1 has 6 20 dayers in it, the other 2 have 6 each 5 dayers in them. Wow that is confusing. Anyway, should I wait and introduce them in the coop/run or should I mix them up each day they are in the house?

I've never had chickens before and am not sure if they will get to know each other or if this will screw up the pecking order down the road... but I am anxious to get them out in a few weeks and want that to go smoothly too.

They are a mix of bantams and standards (small Apps to large Australorps) but are mostly the same size now...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I had two brooders going with14 4 week olds. I had to put them outside as I needed the brooder space. I put them all toagether in their new grow out coop and pen They were so frightened at first to be outside in a new larger area that they didn't bother with each other. They all huddled into athe same corner for awhile and I had no problems introducing them to each other. They have been out there for three days now and I have had no problems with them at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by