When is the best time for rooster to fertilize eggs?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have a rooster from April who I would like to fertilize my chickens eggs but when is the best time for that?
And when is the roosters prime years? So you can get the best fertilize eggs

I agree it is an individual thing. At nine months his sperm should be very fertile so if the girls will let him mate the eggs should be fertile. Many hens will allow a nine month old cockerel mate them, some want him to get older. The girls have a lot of say in that.

Younger roosters are usually very active. Some slow down in vitality at 3 or 4 years of age but many don't.

I can't give you any hard and fast numbers but I'd say it starts when the girls let him until he loses interest. With mine that often starts around 7 months and goes until they are maybe 4 years old. But each one is unique, can vary quite a bit.

Thank you all for your answers,this is my first time ever having a rooster. So I’m really happy with the answers you all hav given me,right now the girls can’t stand him so I think I will see in April when he is a year how him and the girls are doing and try to see if he can fertilize eggs😊 THANK YOU For the help🫶🏻

Back
Top Bottom