1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When it rains, it pours!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Chicken Lady, Aug 8, 2008.

1. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    A lot of people who have followed the BYC mascot thread know that my husband and I spent three weeks of our summer down in Cleveland, OH, for his surgery. (We thought it would be a week and a half and complications turned it into three...a long story for another time!) We just got back home two weeks ago... Ever since we've been home, we've had a number of additional misadventures.

- I got rear-ended coming home from a school-related training (I've only owned my car for a year...). Now it has a big dent in the bumper; big enough to bug me (since now my precious car isn't perfect) and too small to take in for repairs. Grrr...

- One of our kitchen cupboards had a shelf collapse... Further investigation proved that the shelf was ONLY held up by shoddy thin furniture nails...no additional support whatsoever. Blargh. Now all my dishes are on my counters until the guy can get here to get it fixed.

And now, TODAY...

- My husband needed a refill on one of his medications, but his doctor has been on vacation. Today when we called the doctor's office, we got a message that the phone line was "temporarily disconnected." Um, OKAY?

- We drove to the doctor's office to investigate. There is a suspicious-looking board over the front door, but no padlocks or notices. Package delivery receipts dated as early as July 31 are on the door.

- We noticed that a nearby telephone pole looked like it was damaged in a car wreck... Maybe that explains the phone line trouble... maybe...

- We stopped by city hall to do a little detective work. A lot of people go to this doctor who work there (so we learned; he's been in the area 20+ years) and no one had heard anything odd. Everyone was surprised.

- Someone mentioned that the board has been over the door for a while now, possibly as a result of an attempted robbery. Hmmm....

- We made A LOT of phone calls (to the city courts, to the county clerk, to the Better Business Bureau, etc.) wanting to know what was going on. The BBB is going to be sending them a letter asking them for the status of their business.

This could be a series of very odd, but entirely explainable, coincidences that LOOK like one thing but are REALLY something else. We plan further investigation Monday, when the doctor was supposedly going to be back from vacation.

- In the meantime, my husband's car decided to start leaking transmission fluid all over the place. Now his car was towed and is in the shop. Good thing my husband is at home (working from home) while he recovers from surgery...he doesn't have a car now.

*And I thought I made it a full week without any major disasters. THINK AGAIN. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Are you sure you didn’t make someone mad at you who then put a curse on you?[​IMG]

I know it’s not funny….I’m really sorry all that stuff happened to you.

I hope you were able to get your DH’s meds refilled.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Have you been writing new episodes for the Twilight Zone?

Weird.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Oh geez! I hope nothing alse goes wrong. Did your hubby get his meds some other how?
    And speaking of the mascot, did you get any pics of Howard yet? We're all excited to see them on the mascot thread! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So sorry for your troubles. I'm getting a little wet myself from all the downpours. Hope you get the mystery solved about the doctor. Hmm.

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hang in there, just imagine, now you will go through a fix life up spell, the smooth sailing (no, you cannot get that in writting) [​IMG]
    Hang in there, atleast your hubby is recovering and making money at the same time. God bless and you are in my prayers.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Yes, I have them. Howard got his college degree! I was planning on putting them up this afternoon, but spent the afternoon waiting for a tow truck, instead.

I'll put them up tomorrow and then get Howard ready to mail on to the next person. [​IMG] Good thing I can just walk to the UPS store (for real).

And yes... Around midnight last night, when my DH was telling me the over-the-counter meds he was taking as a substitute weren't working so well (he normally gets Prevacid via prescription and he was trying Tums and some other crap, just not strong enough), I called the Urgent Care and a 24-hour pharmacy and got the recommendation for him to get on some Prilosec, which is still over the counter. That seems to be working. [​IMG] We'll obviously be figuring out how to get him his regular prescription filled. We do have another doctor (in Cleveland) we can call if we have to.

We're sure we're not the only people wanting his doctor to do some refills. This is so bizarre and annoying, but we're working with it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  8. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Sounds like bad JuJu has touched you...

Seems like bad luck comes in 3's, but bad JuJu is a higher count of bad luck... Most I have read are 4's and 5's.

Glad to hear that your husband is on the mend and the temporary meds are working.

Good Luck in the coming days...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by