When it's cold outside...

coffeemama

Barista Queen
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Oregono
how long do you keep your chicks in the house? I am hoping to move mine out at some point to my craft room, which is attached to garage, but has a space heater. It seems like I have kept them inside in years past until they are jumping out of the brooder and driving us all nuts. Just curious what you all do
wink.png

You could put the brooder in the garage, but you still have to make sure that the heat source is adequate to keep the temp up and that there are no drafts. My two week olds just moved to the big brooder in the garage, but they are under a good heat lamp. They spent their first two weeks in the house. Day 1 through day 3 at 93 degrees. Day 4 through 7 at 90 degrees. Day 8 through 14 at 85 degrees. Now the brooder in the garage runs at about 80 degrees. When they are 21 days old I will drop it to 75 degrees, etc.

See, I have always kept them in the house for 2-4 weeks, but I have never worried about actual temps in the brooder. I just used chick behavior as a clue to move light closer or further away-knock on wood, I've never lost a chick this way.
My craft room is not drafty-I used to live out there when our house belonged to my mother.
I think I'll wait until 2-3 weeks to move them out-thanks!

I keep my chicks in the house 6 - 8 weeks depending on the dust they kick up. I have had the brooder (pack n play) set up in my kitchen with heat lamps hanging from my plant hooks in the ceiling. With the meat birds that grow way too fast (!!!) I had to move them out just after 4 weeks. Right now I have 2 week olds in a tote/brooder and will move them to the pack n play this weekend. In two short weeks I have to figure out what to do because I have geese that should be hatching - I may put them in the tote/brooder for a week or so or I may set up the 2nd pack n play for them. Since this is my first time with geese I really don't know ho wlong I will keep them in the house. I kept ducks in the kitchen last year for about 6 weeks and let them swim in my sink daily.

Back
Top Bottom