When life gives you lemons...

Phil OConnell

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you barn doors and hurricane shutters, make a coop.
20200608_171054.jpg
20200608_171127.jpg

It will probably be used for ducks for the near future, but eventually chickens.

Thank you, I wasn't really going for style points but I'm really happy with the way it came out. It rained pretty hard when I was finishing it off and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't leak a drop. That one is 4'x7'. Next one may be 8'x8', we'll see. Still have a stack of doors, and plenty of shutters.

The hardware cloth is stapled every 1-1/2" with 3/4" long staples. No way a racoon is getting in there. That porter-cable pneumatic stapler is a life saver.
Not so much. Yea, a coon may not get it in one night but its can be done. I have seen a male coon grab a full galvanize garbage can with just one of his little hands and sling it across the yard like it was a paper bag.
Rip stapled hardware cloth off roof soffits to nest in attics.
SSPX0999.JPG

A screw and washer on some corners will stop a spot the coon was able to find a loose staple. I took all the doubts away. I trimmed and covered my coop wire seams with dog eared fence boards. Cheap treated wood.

Thanks David and Mary. I'll add some wood trim over the hardware cloth. I do exact revenge on any racoons that mess with the chickens at the farm. These two got 6 hens one night. It was their last.
20200326_211106.jpg

Back
Top Bottom