When putting quail eggs on lockdown...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Trapper Luke, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Trapper Luke

Trapper Luke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Even though it's only day 2 on my first batch of quail eggs I had a question for lockdown. How many will just put their eggs on a cloth over the wire screen vs putting them in cartons or what not to keep them from becoming a "football" by other chicks that have hatched? Which way is better? I imagine if you put them in cartons you'd want to put them small end down like you do in the turners correct?

Thanks
    Luke

2. samantha87

samantha87 New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    i just left mine on the wire and still got a 80% hatch rate on shipped eggs

3. cmobley

cmobley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    saraland alabama
    I put mine on the rubber drawer liner. Helps them keep their footing and helps discourage splay leg.

4. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    Rubber shelf liner.
    I'll put 80 +/- eggs in a styrofoam incubator for hatching. Not sure I could get that many in there standing up in cartons and there still be room for the chicks to move around. Some people do it and like it. I just never tried it.

I don't think their bumping the other eggs around matter that much. Cots zip out of their eggs pretty quickly.

5. fishforbrains

fishforbrains Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    I put them on their sides on gravel paper. There was a study on chicken eggs indicating that they hatch easier if they are placed on their sides rather than putting them upright in cartons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by