When should chicks be moved outside from Brooder?

uaj0sh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
I've got 29 Chicks, and I'm wondering when they should be moved outside. Most of my meat birds have almost all their feathers. My egg layers probably have a week or two before they get theirs. What does the weather need to look like before putting them outside? Are there any other considerations I am missing?

Thanks!
~Josh

Mine are usually more then ready to get the heck out of their brooder by they time they are 5 weeks old and fully feathered, or nearly so. If the weather is chilly or wet I just provide a heat lamp in the corner of the coop so they can warm up if they need to. If need be my coop is big enough and gets enough light inside that I can just keep them in there for another week or so if I need to, ie if the weather is really bad.

I just moved mine out today....they are about five weeks and got all their feathers. They were getting too big and messy for their cage. Just make sure that they are protected from predators. They are very vulnerable while they are that young. I let mine out, but I have them locked in the barn right now. I won't let them out in the yard til they are well able to scare away the cats. Right now they'd make a nice lunch for any of our many felines. If you don't have no cats or dogs, that wouldn't be a problem. (Though the neighbors might have some.)

We have a step down system here since it is still cool. 2 weeks in the house brooder, then 2 weeks in the feed house brooder (dirt floor) Then they move to the "big kid" pen that has 2 heat lamps for them if they need the warmth. then at 6-8 weeks they move to the "Jr" pen where they stay until they are 22 weeks or laying (if roosters at that point they are let out with the guineas to free range and eat ticks).

Back
Top Bottom