When should I feed my chickens calcium?

Clucky_Ellie123

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Australia
My pullets are 17 (nearly 18) weeks old and are nearly at point of lay. I was wondering when I should start feeding them calcium eg. egg shells, oyster shells etc. Should I start feeding them before they start laying or after they key their first egg? Also, when should I switch to feeding them layer feed?

Oyster shell should be in a separate dish, on the side, so they can eat it - or not - as they need it.

You should NOT, assuming you are the typical backyard owner, with the typical backyard flock, following typical backyard flock management practices, switch to layer feed, ever. Stick with All Flock/Flock Raiser.

I don't like layer feed either. Chickens' calcium needs vary throughout the year and throughout their lives. They know best how much they need and when, and ideally should be allowed to regulate it themselves. Much better than a flat ration mixed with the feed. Give them flock raiser / all flock feed, and provide the calcium on the side. You can give it to them on the side at any time. Even now. When they start needing it, they'll know, and they'll eat as much as they need to.

I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container after 15 weeks old.
20201126_051320_resized_1-2.jpg

They'll get a craving for calcium a couple of weeks before the first egg and take as needed.
I rarely get soft shells or thin shelled eggs from new layers. GC

Back
Top Bottom