When should I help this malpositioned chick?

Strozerkat

Hatching
Nov 7, 2020
First time using the incubator to hatch, previously used a broody hen to do the hard work!

This chick pipped last night at around 6pm, it is now 9am the next day. The hole is on the opposite end as the air cell on the side. Before I went to bed I had taken off a small piece of the membrane that was exposed as it looked like it was sticking to itself and creating an airlock, so chick was struggling to breathe. This morning I looked in the hole to see it's beak and part of its wing. Chick is making some noise here and there, panting when I look in and egg is jumping around a lot. Chick appears to have scissor beak as well. The outer membrane is starting to turn yellow/brown. Chick has not zipped at all. I am concerned because this egg in particular has a very thick tough shell compared to the others and I'm not sure how much time and effort it took for this chick to simply pip.

I suspect the membrane is too dry, though I've been trying to raise humidity to help. One live chick was hatched yesterday that had some complications and got stuck with its leg and head out for several hours. Membrane was too dry and I used a damp cloth to soften it while removing bits of the shell slowly to help it finish the process. First chick completely absorbed the yolk and has no signs of any health issues. Appears to be lively this morning.

Wondering if and how I should help this little guy. I'm a newbie so any help is much appreciated!

Use a vegetable based oil to help with keeping the membrane moist. What is your humidity? Raise it by adding more surface area of water. If needed add sponges or wash clothes. If the chick is able to breathe wait 24 maybe even 48 hours before slowly assisting. The chick should no longer be opening its mouth to obsorb the yolk and the veins need to be dissolved. I have had chicks pip outside the air cell and still hatch, but they take a long time to zip as the external pip is done at the same time as the internal pip.

Back
Top Bottom