When should I let Mama hen take her babies out of the pen.

I see...my broody also stayed to herself until I gave out treats. She would hog the food for herself and her chicks. If I were you, I would let her out again, once the chicks are all around 1 week old. I would rather lock the rooster up than the broody and her chicks though :p
Thanks, will try.

I finally have a broody hen got 5 chicks hatched in regular nest box last week, I moved them to a separate pen, when I can open the door and let mama hen take her babies out to meet other members in the flock?
I have one rooster and 5 more hens out there, will babies be safe with mama?
Thanks
My broody was at bottom of pecking order and did not do a good job defending her chicks AT ALL. One died on her watch at the beaks of my other 3 hens, and another one got the crap pecked out of its leg by resident bully hen. We ended up having to move her and babies completely to another coop for their own safety. I am hoping that when they are older the big gray chick knocks the bully down in pecking order.

YMMV, lol.

Can someone help! we're just starting out on our chicken journey and were getting prepared for chicks as our hen has been sitting for some time. we aren't ready and they are starting to hatch. her nesting box is up high and we were going to move her and the eggs to her own nesting box close to the ground on monday but it started to rain. now not sure what to do, we are only learning. i have put up a temporary fix so they don't fall to their deaths but thats only a short term fix. Once they all hatch, how long before she will try and leave the nest with them. i was going to wait until they all hatch (she is sitting on 16) then move the chicks and her to the "maternity coop".

245099086_10216973386521897_1124352159558103965_n.jpg

6 comments

Comment

Don't let them with the rooster is what to do.
CHicken Fricasee ala rooster is an idea too.

Aaron
My henny took her chickies outside when they were a week old,btheu r now 4.5 weeks old and have learnt who to avoid.

I have the opposite problem, my rooster ignores the chicks but is going after the hen, wanting to breed her but she tried to fight back but eventually today he got at her.

Normally I only let her out where I can watch her and the chicks with the rest of the gang, bit tonight I got distracted. Randy Pangoo Rooster is gonna end up roast chicken with the fixings if he isn't careful...

I see...my broody also stayed to herself until I gave out treats. She would hog the food for herself and her chicks. If I were you, I would let her out again, once the chicks are all around 1 week old. I would rather lock the rooster up than the broody and her chicks though :p
I agree, babies and mama need to roam and get integrated with herd. Rooster can get locked up!

Its a tough decision but that is one thing I will NOT tolerate are abusive birds. I had one that would chase the others around the yard they were terrified, would run into the coop into the nesting box literally crying and bury their heads into the shavings and she would get up there and rip feathers out of them. She's a turd now. Roosters I get it, it's what they do BUT they can be abusive too, past what is normally considered... roostery. Slow cooker and the seasons veggies. Fall / Winter is a time for renewal. Sometimes of the plants AND critters...

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom