When should I let my chickens out to free range?

BrentDeJesus

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2023
Hello! I was told to keep the hens I just purchased in the coop for a week before I let them out to free range so they learn where their home is. Is this practice/suggestion correct, or should I just let them out the day after I get them?

Yes, confine to coop for at least a week....
.....then let them out to range an hour before they usually go to roost.
That way they won't go too far and you'll see if they go back to the coop at roost time.

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

Do you have other chickens? How old are these? Are they laying eggs? The answers to these questions might change some details but my general thoughts won't change that much.

There are two possible reasons that you might want to lock the in the coop for a time, assuming the coop is big enough that you can leave them locked in that space. One has been mentioned. Chickens are creatures of habit. They will put themselves to bed where they are used to sleeping as it gets dark. It doesn't always work but often if you lock them in the coop for a few days they get in the habit of sleeping in that coop. It sounds like you don't have a run so when you let them out to free range they could wind up sleeping anywhere, including in trees. They can be really hard to catch so it is better to train them to sleep in the coop if you can.

They are creatures of habit. If they are laying in a nest in your coop they should return there to lay an egg when they are out free ranging. So you want them to start out laying in your coop. This doesn't always work but most of the time locking them in your coop for a week when they are laying usually gets them to lay in a nest in your coop.

If your new ones are mature and you already have mature hens or mature hens and a rooster they typically learn from them where to sleep and lay. If you already have mature hens that are laying in the coop you don't want to lock them out and possibly teach them to lay somewhere else. If you already have mature hens and your new ones are immature pullets there is a fair chance the new ones would be afraid of the hens which might keep them from going into the coop. If either one of these is correct we probably need to chat a bit. But if you do not already have hens this should be pretty straightforward.

Do consider your coop size - I would hesitate to coop mine for a week. I do have a run, and I never coop mine for a week, once they find the coop and the run, it is obviously the best place to roost.

If you don't have a run, I would let them out, very late in the afternoon, it will give them some fresh air, and they won't wander a far distance in strange territory, that will encourage them to go back into the coop the 2nd or third day. Or even turning a light on in the coop, will help them go back in there. Just be down there, as dark comes on. If they roost somewhere else, they are easy to catch, and your can plop them in the coop.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom