when should I move my broody hen

flyinchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
I have a hen that went to sitting. She ended up with 8 eggs under her within a five day period. I just left her alone. I have read a lot that says she should be seperate from the flock( my flock is around 30 chicken total- 10 weeks to full grown)

Her first egg hatched yesterday. Should I leave her alone and assume she will protect them or move her now. If I move her should I wait for all the eggs to hatch first?? Not sure what to do. Oh and I would have to build an enclosure for her if I decide to seperate. Thanks for any help.

I'll be interested to see the replies.

I have friends who have 2-3 broody hens in one coop, sitting almost constantly. When the chicks hatch, they'd near mothers for a very long time, then some other hen shooed one of the mothers away and took over!. No one bothered the chicks, the flock free ranges over several acres, and they have all been safe. They were easily seen as part of the flock.

On the other hand, my chicks that I hatched out, had a hard time accepting the new chicks I bought as part of the flock, and picked on them constantly. maybe if they had watched them hatch out they would have accepted them as part of the flock?

Here are some pictures of the new mom. Not sure if this is one of her eggs, but it should be. She had to give it a once over when we gave it back to her. Leaving them where they are for the moment.

071.jpg

076.jpg

074.jpg

Some flocks don't bother the mothers and their chicks, especially if they have a lot of room. I always separate them though, just because that way they are in no danger whether they would be accepted or not.

Another something that may be a problem if you leave them with the main flock is the entryways are made for adult chickens, who can jump and are much taller then little chicks. I don't know how your coop is, but you wouldn't want the mother to go in the coop and the babies not to be able to get in. Just a thought.

I us rabbit cages while they are young, either 2X2 or 2X1 1/2 or something close to that. They can either stay in there all the time or you can put the cage or cage top depending on how it is designed onto grass during the day. Hope this helps, and best of luck! MW

Back
Top Bottom