when should i move the chicks

I started coop construction late after I already got my chicks. They grew faster than I had time to complete the coop. They outgrew their brooder fast and I had to find a makeshift shelter for them in the mean time....the bottom half of a huge industrial water container worked well for a bit but it wasn't ideal. My girls wanted to be out flying around with space to explore. The minute I got the coop finished is when I put them in- I'd say it was probably around 8-9 weeks. They were fully feathered and growing fast. Plus the weather started warming up so that helped me decide that it was time.

I have another batch (about 3 weeks) that I will probably start integrating into the coop as soon as majority of their feathers come in- a week or 2 maybe?

My coop is also insulated, very sturdy and very weather/critter proof so it doesn't worry me putting such young chicks out.

Honestly, I think you just know when it's time to get your flock into a bigger/better space that's meant for them. I did at least. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom