When should I put a place to roost in brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Real McChicks, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Real McChicks

Real McChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    California
    Our chicklets are 10 days old. I had read that we should put a low roost in at about 2 weeks. Yesterday, my daughter put a piece of wood into the brooder across the food and water feeders- so its 10+ inches high. Twice now we have found the BR chick sitting up there. We didnt see her get up there, but obviously she can! Should I add a roosting spot for all of them? If so- how high should it be and how big of a piece of wood?

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    They likely won't roost at night for a little while, but it is always good for them to get the practice. Never too soon to start in my opinion. They love a good jungle gym. When they all start to figure it out, I'd get the food and water out from under it or it will get covered in droppings.

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:I agree completely. Within the first few days that I had chicks I had put some small pieces of 2'X4' in the corners of the brooder to hold the paper towels in place and I noticed that they were all trying to get up on top of those little blocks of wood, so I fashioned some little perches out of scrap wood in different configurations and heights and traded them in and out when I cleaned the brooder. They always enjoyed exploring on them and would hop up and flap their silly little chick wings all proud of themselves.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I built a simple design, based on the scraps I had available. I looked for poles larger than their feet as they will grow fast and the feet do get bigger. A flat piece of wood 1 1/2 " square, and placed them about 6" off the floor using what ever is available and very stable. THe pole cannot roll, it must be rock solid. I drill a hole and put in a long screw to fasten the legs to the pole.

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I had 2 possible roosting areas from day one...all branches from the backyard. a 2" one on the ground (as a "starter" roost lol)and the other 2 about 8" or 9" they didn't sleep there but they sure love to jump on during the day...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by