When should I remove the chick from the incubator?

It had glued-down feathers too. Is that because the humidity was too low? I'm worried the other chicks may have shrink-wrapped inside the egg.

Ok, I'll have to disagree with some of the posts above not because they are wrong, but because I have a different experience.
You are not supposed to open the incubator after Lockdown IF there are external pips. That's when there is a danger if shrink wrap. If there are no external pips, the chick usually dries out in a few hours, so it's ok to take it out. The other pro of leaving the chick inside is that its chirping will encourage the rest to fight and hatch. So
The chick is now chirping loudly because it's alone... Or cold. The glued feathers - I'm not sure about but if it was shrink wrapped it would have a membrane on it, which you would be able to see, so I doubt it is shrink wrapped... Maybe someone with more experience can tell.
And yes, chicks can survive long without food after they hatch. Mine usually do not start eating until the 2-3rd day in the brooder anyway. And they are fine.

I have a heating plate for it and I've lowered it so it can touch it. It should be warm enough. It won't be quiet for more than a second though. I hope it's ok.

Back is like this. The belly is fluffy though

Attachments

• 20191017_112123.jpg
    20191017_112123.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 6
@Texas Kiki , @Eggcessive, @aart
Needing some advise here!

Underneath a Momma Hen, the baby would be moving around and that would help to fluff up the down feathers, I think.
As for all the crying, it could be cold or lonely. Is it able to stand and balance well by itself? Can you see any deformities or if it is physical hurt? Is it next to or on the heating pad?
One of our resident chick experts should be along soon this morning, till then, try to keep the brooder about 99°.
Good luck! :fl

What is/was your humidity throughout and do you have a salt tested humidity gauge in your bator?

I have a heating plate for it and I've lowered it so it can touch it. It should be warm enough. It won't be quiet for more than a second though. I hope it's ok.
It's because it's alone...a mirror or a small plushie toy for it to snuggle against can help.

Back is like this. The belly is fluffy though
Just dried 'hatching gunk'...it will wear off or you can use a soft dry toothbrush in several directions to gently help fluff it up.

I can hear another egg peeping. Hopefully it hatches. I don't have a hygrometer in the incubator. I'm using the Brinsea Octagon 10 and the manual said not to use hygrometers because they're inaccurate. Instead I weighed the eggs to keep track of moisture loss. I noticed they were losing too much weight so I tried to increase the humidity by filling the second reservoir and closing one of the vents. Sadly it appears it hasn't worked because I just candled some and saw no movement and very large air cells. The brooder is at room temperature - I haven't got a heat lamp. I have one of the brooders that they can put their back against to keep warm (from comfortchicks.com)

Back
Top Bottom