When Should I Take My Chicks Out of the Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Firearia, May 25, 2010.

1. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, we're getting buff orpingtons this week! Yeah! But the one thing is I want to make sure all of my facts are correct, because sometimes I doubt myself. So is it true that you should keep chicks in a brooder for six weeks before letting them into the outside chicken coop? And should the temperature of the room around the chicks be normal, or can I put them in the coop with the brooder?

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:I think it all depends on the outside temps. If it's warm, which it's getting there this time of year, I think you should be OK to put the brooder in the coop. If it isn't so warm, I would wait 'til they're fully feathered. BUT, do you have other chickens in your coop? That might make things different. I have 4 different broods (from 4 different years) together in my coop, but they have all been fully feathered, and at least 10 wks old when I introduced them to each other.

Jen

3. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, these are going to be my first chickens. I don't think I will put them in the coop yet because it's still a little cold, and I won't be able to go out to the coop to often next week... Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by