when should males start to strut

Mine are doing the same thing and I dread another breeding season. I have free range peafowl I have to protect from predators so find myself hunting for nests constantly. The peahens will lay 2 five acre tracts over. I'm thinking about penning them this year but need more pens, LOL!!! So difficult to find good homes for the chicks so thinking I don't want to bring many into the world but hate to see my peahen continue to lay for 5 months....maybe hard on their health. If they incubate to hatch then raise chicks they're finished for the season. HA, that means more pens to keep mom and chicks safe from raccoons, etc; If I take the chicks from her she starts laying eggs again. It's insane. I want to have my girls spayed, hahaha!!!! I have penned birds .... to many males that will be fighting so need to let some out but then the alpha will run off the younger males and someone else will have peafowl. It's just all plum nuts!!!!! If I don't get my act together I'm soon to air on "Animal Hoarders". Heeeeeeeeeelp!!!!

This is a normal thing and you will see it from time to time even in the winter months. Note it is not nearly as frequent or frenzied as in the spring. Just practicing for the time to come. Even the females will strut from time to time so this is not unusual either.
smile.png

Quote:
sounds like you should create a craigslist posting! move some of those males to new homes
lol.png

Quote:
Ya know i build big brush piles in the safe zone here for my birds to lay eggs in and the guineas,geese, ducks and chickens use them , i am hopping the peahens will also.
Just a thought, don't know ifyou are able to do that at your place but it is worth a try if ya can.

Quote:
No photos i burn them after the guineas stop laying and build new ones come spring.

Here is one i built to protect a hen and chicks from the Peas after she jumped one of them walking by, they were out to get her after that.

DSC00167.jpg

A look inside
DSC00171.jpg

Ohh, so they are from green fresh stock.
I dont have enough forest for that here.

Guess I will have to rob the limb pile at the county dump!!
That might work!

Thank you & your pics always have such greenery!!!

Yea they all start out green and i mostly use pine limbs because they hold their needles way better than other tree limbs and repel water better under the piles.

I just trimed some trees where my birds roost to make that one as that is were the hen hung out till her chicks got bigger.

Back
Top Bottom