When SNOW attacks (Seattle)

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
For everyone making fun of Seattlites for freaking out over a few inches of snow, here's why...

Seattle = hills
Hills + snow = very slippery
Buses + hills + snow + Seattle = out of control in a hill & broken guardrail

ERGO: Seattle + snow = VERY dangerous

(breaking story as of 1:30p on Friday)
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_121908WXB_bus_hangs_over_I-5_TP.7ba7cab9.html
415-busaccident.standalone.prod_affiliate.5.jpg

I am soooo glad I didn't go to work today. This happened about 5 miles from my office.

How scary is that??? My XDH & his DW are supposed to be driving over to L&S's to pick up our banty trio of RIR's from Oregon to WA...at least he is a former Alaskan used to ice and snow and xtruck driver, too...but responses have slowed due to age and a very eventful youth, ages ago;)

Yeah... and what makes it worse, is that when we get cold, we bounce around 30-34, turning into a lovely sheet of ice. Add over a half a million of city residents, and another quarter million commuting in from the surrounding 30 miles and you get disaster.

Boy... I want to get home, but not if that falls on top of me on the road!

And this helps explain why "we suck". LOL

One storm every 2 years to pull out the plows vs 20 a year.
ep.gif

Quote:
We have a plow in town and our population is under 200!
lau.gif
we do get help from towns nearby when the snow hits, the other towns have bigger trucks and they clear the highway going through town. They were out last night at around 11pm

That's very near our offices in Seattle. That's right at the base of Capitol Hill and it looks like that street is about a 5:1 grade. Lucky they stopped at all.

Seriously, 0.25" of snow and Seattle should just shutdown. Too many hills.

Back
Top Bottom