When SNOW attacks (Seattle)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 19, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    For everyone making fun of Seattlites for freaking out over a few inches of snow, here's why...

Seattle = hills
    Hills + snow = very slippery
    Buses + hills + snow + Seattle = out of control in a hill & broken guardrail

ERGO: Seattle + snow = VERY dangerous

(breaking story as of 1:30p on Friday)
    http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_121908WXB_bus_hangs_over_I-5_TP.7ba7cab9.html
    [​IMG]

I am soooo glad I didn't go to work today. This happened about 5 miles from my office.

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

How scary is that??? My XDH & his DW are supposed to be driving over to L&S's to pick up our banty trio of RIR's from Oregon to WA...at least he is a former Alaskan used to ice and snow and xtruck driver, too...but responses have slowed due to age and a very eventful youth, ages ago;)

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah... and what makes it worse, is that when we get cold, we bounce around 30-34, turning into a lovely sheet of ice. Add over a half a million of city residents, and another quarter million commuting in from the surrounding 30 miles and you get disaster.

Boy... I want to get home, but not if that falls on top of me on the road!

And this helps explain why "we suck". LOL

One storm every 2 years to pull out the plows vs 20 a year. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hey at least it didn't go over the side! We had several cars go over during this week's storm.

5. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    Yikes!!!!!

I can see the driver explaining that to his/her boss.

I swear the snow pushed me!

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    What the pic doesn't show well is that there are 2 buses!! This street is at the bottom of a hill, too.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My husband is/was driving through Seattle today. Guess I should call him to see how it's going...

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd like to know too!!!

Friend at UW said there were three buses blocking his way home to redmond, and one was backwards... so he slept in the lab.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:We have a plow in town and our population is under 200! [​IMG] we do get help from towns nearby when the snow hits, the other towns have bigger trucks and they clear the highway going through town. They were out last night at around 11pm

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    That's very near our offices in Seattle. That's right at the base of Capitol Hill and it looks like that street is about a 5:1 grade. Lucky they stopped at all.

Seriously, 0.25" of snow and Seattle should just shutdown. Too many hills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by