When they become old enough to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, May 27, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    When a hen starts to lay will she automatically go to the nest box? I have read about people putting golf balls in the nest boxes to get them to lay in there. Would it be a good idea to put some golf balls in the boxes a few weeks before they start to lay? The nest box problems I read about are some what troubling to me. I want to avoid any problems before they start. John

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Hens usually go to the nest box (If. they are in a pen.). just make sure it has some hay in it. or something soft. and she should lay in it. If she doesn't whatever eggs she lays on the ground. put in the nest box. or you could try golf balls. golf balls are also a Defence against chicken snakes. they'll slither up into the nest and eat the golf ball. but wont be able to digest it. so they end up dying.

3. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I have a few older pullets That I purchased a few weeks agobout 18 wks old. My pecking order has been established and all are happy and healthy but I am still waiting patiently for that first egg. My dom females comb will turn red then fade in only a few moments notice. As if part of her mood. Is this a sign of eggs to come? They seem over due as my girls are rather large. 1 black star, 1 production red , 3 smaller babies bout 8-10 weeks.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. paynemom

paynemom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    Robinson, TX
    My first girl started laying last week, not in the nest box. She always lays on the ground in a nest of feathers. I have to crawl into the coop to reach them. Nasty. Now the other two girls are laying in the same spot. I am gonna try the golf ball technique, but don't want to waste any of my eggs yet since they just started laying. Good luck. Write back if you have any luck.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    She always lays on the ground in a nest of feathers. I have to crawl into the coop to reach them. Nasty.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This makes me happy that our coop is BIG! LOL​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by