When to add new chickens?

tjmings

Chirping
Aug 3, 2015
I currently have two EE's that are about 9 weeks old in my coop. I have two others (7 week old silkie mix and 5 week old d'uccle) in a separate location in my garage. Not sure when the right time is to add these two to the existing two in my coop. They are getting a bit stir crazy in their small contained area but the d'uccle is still so small that I'm afraid she will get picked on by my EE's. Also, I am wanting to get two more chickens. I want a total of 6.....in retrospect should have gotten six all at the same time to grow up together which would have made it much easier. So now I'm wondering when would be the best time to add 2 new ones. Wondering if I should get the 2 new at the same time I move my smaller 2 to the coop and add all 4 at the same time? Looking for some input from the pros as this is all new to me :)

This was a big headache for me. I wish I would have gotten all my hens at the same time. I wanted to add 6 more to my 12 and I found out it was a lot of work.
I read several articles, and the one I used worked. I split my coop and run. I used chicken wire to make a place for my new ones. But that was only after they had been in the brooder and when I had them out they had a little run beside the big girls run so they were getting to know each other. That went on for about a month then I did the coop and run. They stayed separate until the little ones were big enough to handle themselves against the adults. After about a month of that, I then went into the coop at night took the new girls out of their enclosure and put the on the roost with the big girls. They still went through the pecking order but, no blood shed. But what a pain in the bum it was! Yours are pretty close in age so it might be easier for you. And if your going to add more I would do it now while they are still young!
I am going to add to my flock but don't want to go through the hassle of mixing integrating So I think I might just build another coop! Don't tell hubby I told you that.
Egg prices went up at the stores and I am having problems keeping up with my egg orders. Mine are molting and have slowed down on egg production. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom