1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When To Add the Nest Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SewingDiva, Oct 11, 2008.

1. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Our girls will be 16 weeks October 16. When is the right time to add the nest box? Do I wait until one of them lays?

~Phyllis

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I would put in in now so they get to know where it is. Also put some type of fake egg in there also so they see what they are going to do there.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You want to get them in asap so they will begin to get in their and check them out. I agree with the fake egg, however, it is not necessary. Mine start laying in their boxes on their own without eggs in there. If you notice that they are laying on the floor or anywhere other than the boxes than I would put the fake eggs in to help them.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    It is also a good idea to put the nest box lower than the roosts so that they wont be inclined to sleeping in the nest. Check on them the first few nights and if they are sleeping in the nest, move them to the roost. Otherwise the nest will get all poopy (a highly technical term), LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by