When to allow breezes on chickens?

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
So I know all about no breezes on chickens during the cold. My question is at what temperature will chickens appreciate a breeze while roosting.

The main coop has 4 large "windows" 42w x 38h that I can open up to 3 different levels. The first position leaves about 4 inches open at top and is above the chicken's heads at roost (I close these up in when the temp gets cold). The second position is about 1/2 down and exposes the top roosting chickens to a breeze. The third position opens the window fully and allows a breeze to hit all birds above and below.

I designed this to give maximum air flow during the hot/humid Texas summers. These windows face east and west. I also have an extension on my coop that allows southern exposure to breezes and the man door is equipped with a screen door that allows northern winds to come in.

Our days are already getting hot and the nights are staying in the 70s. Tonight's low will be 70 degrees with a SSE wind at around 13 mph. This will bring wind into the coop where the flock will be roosting. I can cut off the south opening, but the choices for the main coop are one of the positions in paragraph 2.

The last few nights I have left the windows in position 2 until about 9pm then shut when the temp drops below 75, then buttoned everything up to the first position until morning.

My question is at what temperature will my chickens appreciate the windows being fully opened so they can catch any breeze that may blow their way?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

How old are the birds?
Any frizzle or silkies?

For my flock the windows are left open once temps at night are in the 40's. Mine are standard large fowl and all fully feathered with no frizzle or silkies.

If yours are grown I think your temps at night are plenty warm.
Are your windows designed to keep any surprise rain from blowing in?

Thank you. Only Black Australorps. 14 laying; youngest about about 10 months; 1 rooster.

Windows/roof are "designed" to keep rain out. But when we get sideways west storms coming in at 20 mph I have to shut the windows up. Working on solving that issue.

Thanks for your insight. Do you think the chicken prefer the breeze or prefer no breeze? The window covering are plexiglass so they can see out and morning sun and get in when on.

You chose a wonderful breed! They are great birds.
I kept that breed in my mixed flock for well over 15 years.

I think they prefer the fresh air breeze or no breeze they will appreciate the windows open.

If you post a picture of how the windows look in the open position I am sure there will be ideas on how to block the wet from getting in. That is IF you wish to post them.

Simple actually.

For adults: No direct breezes is about handling extreme cold. When it is reasonably warm (40s or 50s at night), it is fine to open up more windows. I always keep windows open away from the prevailing winds for ventilation.

Chicks should definitely need more protection. Early on, they will spend a lot of time under the hen. As they grow, they will start wandering around, but still need a safe, warm place to retreat to.

Last edited:
Best to have a choice for them to roost in the breeze or out of i

You chose a wonderful breed! They are great birds.
I kept that breed in my mixed flock for well over 15 years.

I think they prefer the fresh air breeze or no breeze they will appreciate the windows open.

If you post a picture of how the windows look in the open position I am sure there will be ideas on how to block the wet from getting in. That is IF you wish to post them.
Thank you. I did a lot of research when first starting. I have been pleased with the flock. Started with 4 pullets, quickly added 2 more pullets and a cockerel. Then hatched out the rest.

Here is our coop. The picture with the shade cloth is facing east and our most violent storms come in this direction - west to east. The roof is 4 feet out on all sides. We are thinking taking it out another 4 feet would do the trick. Now...for time and $ to get that done.

Note: the roost do not sit that high nor or they that close to the windows. The roost bars are hinged and fold up out of the way so I can access everything during the day.

Attachments

• PXL_20240427_204725785.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240427_204725785.MP.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240427_204853847.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240427_204853847.PORTRAIT.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240427_204936650.jpg
    PXL_20240427_204936650.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 8
Those are wonderful big windows!

If you get crazy sideways rain coming in even with that HUGE overhang I am not sure how to stop it without at least closing up the bottom half of the windows.

Maybe a couple pieces could be put in tracks to slide up like a pop door but used to block the bottom half of the windows. Thinking with pulleys and rope it could be a quick trip to raise them when rain hits.

Back
Top Bottom