When to allow chicks to free range?

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
I have 36, count 'em, 36 chicks in my spare room right now!
Next week I am going to transition them all outside, they will be split up into two coops. 10 of them will he going to my main coop, where my free ranging flock of about 25 is. There is a separate pen in the back, and I plan to keep them there.
The rest are going into a separate coop, where they will have access to a separate fenced yard, which I later plan to add 8-10 adult birds to. So my questions are:
At what point do I let the ten in the outside coop join the rest of the flock and free range? I am thinking 6-8 weeks?

When do I allow the chicks with the pen access to the great outdoors? I am thinking more like 4 weeks, then move the big birds in around 8-10 weeks. This second pen will have a bunch of roosters I plan to cull, and will not in fact be a flock of 35+ when I get it pared down to just 2 roosters.

Last edited:
As far as integrating chickens to an adult flock, size matters. You want the younger ones to be similar a similar size as your flock or your asking for them to be bullied. I’ve always found about 2 weeks of being close but separated was a good amount of time. And the first time they are together together, I would suggest be when they free range so there is less competition for food and whatnot.

How many and how old your roosters are can affect this as well.

Free ranging should only be done when they are established in their new coop. 2 or 3 weeks should be safe. Just so they are absolutely sure where home is at night. But it could be done sooner ( 1-2 weeks) if you are there to make sure they all get in and don’t wander off.

As far as integrating chickens to an adult flock, size matters. You want the younger ones to be similar a similar size as your flock or your asking for them to be bullied. I’ve always found about 2 weeks of being close but separated was a good amount of time. And the first time they are together together, I would suggest be when they free range so there is less competition for food and whatnot.

How many and how old your roosters are can affect this as well.

Free ranging should only be done when they are established in their new coop. 2 or 3 weeks should be safe. Just so they are absolutely sure where home is at night. But it could be done sooner ( 1-2 weeks) if you are there to make sure they all get in and don’t wander off.
I have 3 existing mature (coming on 2 years old) roosters in the flock of 25, and I SHOULD have another young roo in the ten chicks. The current rooster are all laid back and get along really well, and have their own established mini flocks.
I am planning to keep one or maybe 2 promising rooster from the other bunch, and I will be adding 5 hens and a rooster to that bunch as well.
It should work out to 1 rooster for every 8-10 hens, and plenty of space for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom