When To Boot Em Out? Feathers, Age, or What?

To tell you the truth I make my own measurements depending on how bad the chicks is. Light works fine I just suspect dark is stronger, and unless your chicks start rolling their necks and twitching clear is fine, any way if you have a normal waterer with a plastic bottom and plastic or glass holding cup...thing Fill the entire botton with a layer (syrup spreaded over entire bottom) if you want to add more go ahead, then fill it about a quarter with hot water and stir it. For some reason the syrup will not mix with warm or cold water
idunno.gif
then fill it all the way up with cold water. Then dip there beaks or if necessary use a tiny syringe for shots without the needle and get some down them, not to much though or they choke (lots of sticky bubbles coming out of their mouth) (Gasp ok i think im done)

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't need anything but clean water and chick feed, preferably medicated, especially if they are on the ground. Sugar is no better for chickens than it is people, and is not needed except in small amounts for a few hours during high stress.

If baby chicks are piling on top of each other, as opposed to huddling next to each other, they are too cold and in danger of suffocating the ones on the bottom.

JMO.

I put my out at 4 weeks. That is when they started smelling really, really badly. Even though I would change the shavings every single day. Enough was enough and out they went. They are almost 6 weeks old and I do still have a light in with them. They will not go inside without the light. What chickens huh???? LOL

They can be in an outbuilding from day one, and can go outdoors very early if they have shelter and warmth available when they feel chilled. Brooding in the house can be convenient but is not necessary. But they still need enough warmth that they do not pile. In most climates they will need a source of heat, at least during the night.

Quote:
When they don't need heat any more, you can switch to an ordinary light bulb til they learn to come in at dusk. They won't need this after they learn to come in every night.

Back
Top Bottom