when to boot the kids out?

annmaynardx

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
We bought 6 Rhode Island reds right before Easter and they have already outgrown their box. I am wondering if anyone in the Massachusetts area has any advice on when we would be able to safely put the gals outside ? We will be using part of our shed as their permanent coop but the night time temps are still pretty chilly ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif
Glad to have you aboard!!
woot.gif

Welcome my friend! Easter was March 31st right? so that would make the babies about 3weeks, I usually stick to the general rule of thumb that they stay in the brooder until about 6 weeks or fully feathered Sometimes 8 weeks in very frigid areas. Um if you want to put them outside can you put a lamp on them at night? If not get a large card board box and make a bigger brooder that's what I did, then when all their feathers come in put them outside. I waited until 7 weeks just because it was going to a rough and raining April for my girls so they did just fine. Good luck with everything! And don't forget to post lots and lots of pictures!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom