When to butcher marans (considering space issues)

Amina

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I have a coop that's about 4.5 feet by 6 feet, so ~27 sq. ft. I have a run that is 8 by 8 feet, so 64 sq. ft. Let's say I already have 3 standard size hens out there (I will as soon as I slaughter the 4th, who really needs to go ASAP). And then I have 4 chicks in a brooder inside the house. 2 are female sex-links, and 2 are straight run marans. I know my setup outdoors is barely too little for 7 adult birds, but I am planning on slaughtering any male marans, or selling one of the chicks if all of them end up being female. So I should end up with 5-6 adults, depending on the sex of the marans.

Okay, so my question is, assuming that one or both of the marans chicks are male, what would you guys do as far as when to integrate them with my adult birds, and when to slaughter them to avoid space issues, but also get the best carcass? Thanks! :)

I have a coop that's about 4.5 feet by 6 feet, so ~27 sq. ft. I have a run that is 8 by 8 feet, so 64 sq. ft. Let's say I already have 3 standard size hens out there (I will as soon as I slaughter the 4th, who really needs to go ASAP). And then I have 4 chicks in a brooder inside the house. 2 are female sex-links, and 2 are straight run marans. I know my setup outdoors is barely too little for 7 adult birds, but I am planning on slaughtering any male marans, or selling one of the chicks if all of them end up being female. So I should end up with 5-6 adults, depending on the sex of the marans.

Okay, so my question is, assuming that one or both of the marans chicks are male, what would you guys do as far as when to integrate them with my adult birds, and when to slaughter them to avoid space issues, but also get the best carcass? Thanks! :)

Since no expert has answered, I'll give it a go. Most males are dispatched between 14-18 wks. 12 wks won't get you much meat but cooking both at the same time should get a pretty good meal. The longer you wait the more meat. But do it before they start crowing because that's when the meat gets tough. If you can wait until later and they get big you can use them as a roaster. Crockpot or covered roasting pan in 250 degree oven for a couple of hours. or so. When you process be sure and let rest in fridge 48 hrs before cooking.

Thanks for the answer! I appreciate it! At what age would you expect the marans to start crowing? I've heard a lot of different ages for different cockerels... not sure if this is breed-related?

Back
Top Bottom