When to buy chicken scratch?

How about dog food? I seem to always have lots of that here. Many of the less expensive brands are heavily corn based. I could just toss them a handful every once in a while.

Old english game bantam hens have a brown stripe across their eye, males do not (chicks).
You can search online for pics comparing both.

Last edited:
Scratch is far less nutritious and fills a chicks tummy without providing nutrition. Instead of bagged "scratch" I give my chicks rolled oat, hulled raw sunflower seeds and millet for treats. I mix it with chick grit. All are cheap if purchased from the bulk bins at your grocer.

Did that once by accident when girls were being given scraps, they didn't seem to mind
wink.png
Mine "ladies" got hold of a chicken hot dog on Monday... Tearing it apart and munching it down was the second thing that my new pulley and older hens ever did together...chasing an unsuspecting bluejay out of the yard was the first!

Mine "ladies" got hold of a chicken hot dog on Monday... Tearing it apart and munching it down was the second thing that my new pulley and older hens ever did together...chasing an unsuspecting bluejay out of the yard was the first!
Brings them together, doesn't it? ;)

Today I treated my girls to chunky blue cheese, broken up pita crackers and gouda...it was a party with the Crows!

dog food could contain things that are toxic to birds. Stick with chicken feed for chickens; dog food for dogs.

I only give it as an evening treat...if they've been out all day...it's like a snack for them. Otherwise they get Crumble Egg Layer as their regular feed. It's a Commercial blend of cracked corn and other grains, but not a main food as I understand. Actually, my wildlife birds love it too...

Back
Top Bottom