When to change from Chick Starter/Grower to Pullet Grower/Developer

Thank you all for the help, we all (my chicks and I) appreciate it very much
smile.png

Quote:
Is there really any evicence that swine physiology and chicken physiology are similar in this aspect? Is there any evidence or advice from a difference source about restricting feed? Maybe this is something that everyone knows but I don't, but to me, it seems a bit of a stretch to assume that chickens will respond the same way that swine do.

I was just using swine as another example of limit-feeding mature animals to increase reproductive efficiency. The same holds true with ruminants. The original poster submitted the information from "Storey's Backyard Poultry Guide" which I believe is the most authoratative guide on the issue. Not sure of any others...

Andy

Here's some good information also recommending a 50/50 mix for laying hens...

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/poultry/pfs17.pdf
Thanx you guys! I was just asking about this awhile ago. I used Storey's guide to raising ducks when I had ducks many moons ago and they were always soooo pretty and everyone would comment on their colors. I ordered me a storeys guide to raising chickens but the dude has been mega slow about getting it to me. So this is just what I needed to know! I have 2 different batches of chickens so I will keep them all on starter until the 2nd batch gets to the 8 weeks mark so I can put them all on the same thing together. I am new to chickens and am learning.
Thanx again!
love.gif

H
What Storey's is recommending is the following:

1. 0 to 8 weeks - full-feed a starter ration

2. 8 to 18 (20 for heavies) weeks - 50% grower/developer ration + 50% oats full (feed this ration)

3.  After 18 or 20 weeks - 50% layer ration + 50% oats (full-feed)

Always full-feed the chicks, pullets and hens...by adding 50% oats you are acheiving the same thing as limit feeding because the oats have little nutritional value and act as gut fill.

The limit-feeding of breeding stock in swine prolongs their lifespan and makes them more reproductively successful.  According to Storey, the same thing must occur in poultry.  Plus it will reduce your feed cost...oats will be alot cheaper than a grower or layer ration.  Just make sure you mix the ration real good so it isn't easy for the hens to pick out the pellets and leave the oats.

Andy

Hi I am a little confuse when I read to add oats. Would you please tell me what kind of oats to get for them. Would it be ok for my ducklings to eat them too? I have 6 chicks that are 6 weeks old and 4 ducks 4 weeks old.
Thank you

My dilemma is varying ages and stages of poultry! 5 hens that rarely lay at almost three years of age, free ranging with 3 younger hens about 10 months old who do lay, and five chicks 12 weeks old who are separated from the rest, not free ranging. I am switching the chicks to pullet developer and am wondering when/how to move all to the same feed and will it be a problem if the the older groups eat the developer feed? They have access to oyster shells but rarely eat them, most eggs have good shells.

You can definitely get the oats at SS. My opinion on the oyster shell would be not to give it until the chicks are getting ready to lay. The negatives of calcium toxicity to the chicks outweigh the negatives of a few thin-shelled eggs. If you are feeding a layer ration from SS, the calcium level is pretty decent anyway, so the lack of oyster shell shouldn't be a big problem. Just my opinion...

Andy
What does SS stand for? Southern States as a region or something else?

Back
Top Bottom