When to change from starter medicated feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mi2bugz, Nov 11, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I read to change from the starter feed at 8 weeks but to what? I just searched the posts and read that they shouldn't have layer pellets until 20 weeks or so?

Do you mix starter feed with the new kind to slowly transition them or just change it and make sure to take out all other food sources so they are made to eat the new food?

I am asking because I switched my 8 week old chicks to layer pellets cold turkey and they aren't really eating them and now the roo has diarrhea. He's the only one I noticed so far!

2. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    if you have a grower type feed available you could switch them to that or if not just switch to a non medicated starter and leave them on that till the first egg.

my cochins were on starter till 8 weeks and the got put on all fock pellets which are the same protein as the starter they where on and will be on this till they lay and may even stay on it for good i just may provide them with a dish of oyster shell so they can take some when they need it.

i usually swict them over sorta slow but thats just cause i usualy have some food to use up anyway so they get a mix for a few days but i have just switched cold turkey once and it didn't seem to mess with them at all

layer is bad for chicks please switch them to a grower or non medicated starter...the high calcium levels in layer will harm and possibly kill the chicks if they eat it to long

3. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I am going to the store first thing in the morning. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by