When to clip wings again after molt?

SolarDuck

Free Ranging
Jan 31, 2020
Hello! One of my Muscovy hens is one that I relatively recently got back after she flew off and had been living in the wild for months. She molted a few weeks ago and has been growing her primary feathers back. Today she flew up into my back tree where the lowest branch is about 20ft up. I was just wondering how I can know when its safe to clip them again? I know blood runs through them until they are completely grown so I don't want to accidentally do it early, but I'm worried if I let her go about her business as usual tomorrow she might fly away. Is it okay for me to clip them now?

Possibly not, look at the base of the feather shafts, if they are still encased with sheath at the base and usually the base of the shaft is dark with blood. If you see these signs don't cut. If the base of the shafts are hard and white with no sheath present its ok to cut.
Well described.

If she got 20' up into a tree I'd say she is ready for a clip. Looking at her pic the other day made it look like they were still short try opening her wing all the way out and posting a pic that way.

Here is a picture of her wing. It was not easy to get. After holding her down for it I am sure if I open the coop door like normal she will fly away, so if anyone knows if it is OK to clip now let me know asap

Attachments

• 20210108_100955.jpg
    20210108_100955.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 18
You could just tackle it one feather at a time: skip any blood feathers you find, but clip each individual feather that is done growing. If she's flying that well, I predict that you will probably find quite a few mature feathers to clip ;)

If you find any blood feathers, give them a while to finish growing, and clip them after that.

Here is another pic from under

Attachments

• 20210108_105321.jpg
    20210108_105321.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 18
You could just tackle it one feather at a time: skip any blood feathers you find, but clip each individual feather that is done growing. If she's flying that well, I predict that you will probably find quite a few mature feathers to clip ;)

If you find any blood feathers, give them a while to finish growing, and clip them after that.
Alright I did this i clipped the ones on her right side except her top 5 or 6 because those ones looked like they still kind of had that sheath. Hopefully it works

Back
Top Bottom