When to cull baby coturnix quail

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
I have a few quail who hatched that didn't seem to be able to get to walking. They just roll around with their feet curled up, their neck sort of shakes. I also have one that has splayed legs but taping them didn't help much, they are just stuck right out behind her. They keep rolling out from under the heating plate.

I gave them a tiny amount of nutri-drop and been handfeeding them water since they're unable to get it on their own. But it's been about 24hrs now and I don't think they are improving. When to give up? And what's the most humane way to do that? ...Scissors?

Oh gosh, I’m sorry. There’s a point at which you know they’re not going to get better. For me, if they can’t get to food and water on their own after 24 hours, that would be it.

Yes, scissors or anything that separates the neck quickly and completely would be good. For them. For you, it’ll probably be rough no matter what you do.

I have a few quail who hatched that didn't seem to be able to get to walking. They just roll around with their feet curled up, their neck sort of shakes. I also have one that has splayed legs but taping them didn't help much, they are just stuck right out behind her. They keep rolling out from under the heating plate.

I gave them a tiny amount of nutri-drop and been handfeeding them water since they're unable to get it on their own. But it's been about 24hrs now and I don't think they are improving. When to give up? And what's the most humane way to do that? ...Scissors?
The ones who are on their sides it is probably too late for. If they can’t get up on their own after 5-6 hours, you can try getting them into a small cup, tube etc to get them upright, if you hand feed them every couple hours, sometimes being in the right position will help them get up on their own, if they’ve been on their side a full day I suspect they won’t improve. The splay you can possibly fix if it’s a splay and not slipped tendons, but probably not under a heat plate because the hobble makes it hard to stand without quite a bit flopping around and the plate limits the space for that. If you have a heat light you can put it in a separate brooder, try standing it in a small cup so it can get its feet under it.

Thanks for the advice. The two that had curled toes (couldnt get out of shell) were gone this morning. The splayed legs one was looking pathetic and I thought it was dead first I saw it. I fed water, tried feeding crumbs and yolk and some more nutridrop. I re-wrapped vet tape (though it keeps coming off) and it's in a little separate box with heating lamp. It can't really keep its balance so I have to hold it but it's looking slightly more lively.

Not very optimistic really but a better chance than with the scissors!

Attachments

• bumble.png
    bumble.png
    515.4 KB · Views: 26
Not very optimistic really but a better chance than with the scissors!
Do you have any small chick sized rubber leg bands? I find it’s easy to loop 3 together into a small chain, and then I put one leg thru each of the end loops with one empty loop between the legs. This is an easy hobble, and it stays on well if using proper sized bands, and it doesn’t obstruct the chicks movement, is light weight, and easy to remove.

Back
Top Bottom