When to eat new eggs?

GardenGirl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2008
Greenville (Port Jervis) NY
We have 17 week pullets starting to lay each day. Cute little eggs they are.
smile.png
Question is, when can you start eating their eggs? My DH's grandfather said he never ate pullet eggs until they were full sized. Just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks!!

We ate them after taking measurements and pics. They were yummy! I think that some people don't eat them because they are small. Everyone is wanting the large FARM egg they've heard so much about. But they will be wonderful!
smile.png

I think many here eat their pullet sized eggs. The kids should love them
wink.png
WOW 17 weeks is early! Way to go! Congrats. I hope mine lay at 17 weeks. They are 13 now. BTW...were eating our first eggs once they start laying
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I've never understood these posts...why would you not eat a pullet egg? Only difference in a pullet egg and a larger egg is the size. EAT AWAY and enjoy!
big_smile.png

My RIR's started laying at 21 weeks, 6 days. We eat them.
yippiechickie.gif
Of my 2 older hens, one is laying a soft shelled egg that usually breaks at one end and the other is laying a good hard shell, but I noticed that both of them seem to have watering whites, everyone thinks I nuts.
idunno.gif
So why would they be watery???

When my cousin DesertDawg's pullet RIR's laid their first egg, she gave it to me to take the pictures for email to family and friends. I emailed her and jokingly told her I had eaten it after the picture taking. She told me you could not eat the first eggs from a pullet as it would cause you to flap your arms and go Buk! Buk! Buk!. Fortunately, I am not that gullible, and I have been really enjoying those young eggs. The interesting thing is all four hens laid on the same day...

Last edited:
My three Wyandottes are six months old now and all three are laying small brown eggs every day. I am giving the eggs to everyone and they all rave about how great they are. No one has turned them down. I ate the first two eggs and they were wonderful...and yes, I do go "bak, bak, bak" at my chickens and they answer me back. I don't flap my wings...er, arms, yet though. I have found nothing wrong with any of the eggs, so I say "go ahead and eat them".

Back
Top Bottom