When to expect new hens to begin to lay?

SewingMom2many

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I recently got my first chickens, three groups of different ones; 3 from one place, 5 from another place and a single one from yet another place.
One of the hens is laying who seems to be the highest in the pecking order (and funny enough is one of the smaller chickens lol) is laying an egg pretty much every day. The others are not laying but I was told they were old enough to lay. I'm guessing they need some time to adjust to their new home. How long should it take before they begin to lay?

My guess is that if some are laying and comfortable with their new home, the others would be laying as well, if they are of age. Sometimes folks pass along older birds that are past laying, but hopefully, yours are merely young will be laying soon. If their combs and faces are beet red, and they squat when you come near them, then they'll begin laying soon.

The 5 Barred Rock ones which I was told were born in October don't have beet red combs, they are more of a pinkish color. Does this mean they are too young? The lady I bought them from had a LOT of Barred Rock chickens so even though she had them sectioned off I suppose it's possible she got the dates wrong.

If they were born in October, you should be fine. Go near them. Do they squat down and submit to you and let you pet them? This is the "egg squat". If you are getting this, you'll probably be getting eggs soon. I got my first egg squat from my new hen on Wed and she laid for me on Thurs. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom