When to feed grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Hobbyist, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Chicken Hobbyist

Chicken Hobbyist New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    I am new to chickens. I feed my 9 week old white leghorn chicks a chick starter. I currently do not give them grit. When I switch to a grower or eventually a layer feed, will they need grit with it? Currently they do not free range but have a run.
    Also should I switch to a grower or stick with the starter?

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    You start offering grit when they start eating things beside their chick feed like bread or rice, etc.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I stick to a medicated starter for the first 8 weeks, then over to grower until they lay eggs. I would think that if they are in an outdoor run (with grass/dirt) that they get all the grit they require on their own. I only supply additional grit to chicks in the brooder who don't get to forage in the earth yet.

4. Chicken Hobbyist

Chicken Hobbyist New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    There run is grass right now (on its way to dirt). So there feed is safe to eat without grit? I didn't feed them grit in the brooder, was that wrong?? I didn't give them other things though.

5. urbanchicks76

urbanchicks76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2010
    you did not need to feed git in the brooder. Your chickens are fine [​IMG] if the are on the ground they will be just fine without grit. IMO

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by