When to feed Grit

pgras123

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Greenfield Indiana
Please Help. Our 9 girls are about 8 weeks old and yesterday the were taken from the cage and put in the hen house, today they are going to experience the run for the first time. I have been using the medicated chick starter crumbles and am using that up and changing to the next feed bag. They will be in a 30 X 8 run and often out on the property when I am home. But when should I start the Grit, is it too soon? Thanks to all.

I say that because I don't like to change the diet on young birds until the system can handle it better.

Actually, I have 10 barred rock chicks now that are on egglayer scratch right now, just because that what I feed the others. I never had them on start grow or anything from the beginning.

If they are out on your property they will have enough grit. When they are walking around they will find little rocks and dirt.

Are they on pellets or crumble?

Thanks for the welcome, they are on crumbles. The chick starter crumbles, I am going to switch them to the next bag at the coop? I think it is for layers and when should I start with the scratch?

They got to experience the outdoors for the first time today, pretty neat to hang out with my 5 year old, 16 mo old wife and the chickens!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention we have 2 Buff Oprh, 2 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Astrolorps, 1 rhoad Island red, 1 red sex link ,and 1 black sex link.

One of the best things I ever did was get chickens. My daughter and I gather eggs together in the evenings. It's great quality time together, even if it only last for a minute or two.

The chick starter crumbles, I am going to switch them to the next bag at the coop? I think it is for layers and when should I start with the scratch?

I whouldn't give them layer to they are at least 16 weeks. That still might be to much calcium for them since they ain't laying. I can't rember when they can have scratch.​

Back
Top Bottom