When to get pure bred eggs after separating the flock?

Imse

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
Norway
I'm not sure if this is the right category for this question, but..

Two days ago we took out our Lohman rooster from rest of the flock,of many reasons. But the point is that we now have 3 hedemora hens and a rooster and a lohman hen in the coop.

We want to only breed on the hedemora. There is no problem to see which egg is from the hedemora and the lohman.
But in case one of the hedemora hens get broody, when are the eggs pure breed? We have had many mixed through the years, so this is the first time we try to only have one breed. That means that we can exchange roosters and eggs with other people who have hedemora chickens.

Thanks in advance ❤

A general rule of thumb is that after removal of a rooster hens retain high fertility for 1 week, moderate fertility for 2 weeks, some fertility for 3 weeks and occasional fertility for 4 weeks. Three weeks should do the trick.

A general rule of thumb is that after removal of a rooster hens retain high fertility for 1 week, moderate fertility for 2 weeks, some fertility for 3 weeks and occasional fertility for 4 weeks. Three weeks should do the trick.
Thank you so much🤗 That's good to know, so if we get some mixes we can raise them as meat birds.

I'll go through this, it might help.

It takes an egg about 25 hours to go through the hen's internal egg making factory. That egg can only be fertilized in the first few minutes of that journey. That means if a successful mating takes place on a Monday, Monday's egg cannot be fertile from that mating. Tuesday's egg night or might not be, depending on timing. Wednesday's egg will be.

A rooster does not mate with every hen in his flock every day, but he doesn't have to. In the last part of the mating act the rooster hops off, his part is done. The hen then stands up, fluffs up, and shakes. This fluffy shake moves the sperm to a special container near where the egg starts its internal journey. That sperm can stay viable for as little as nine days or maybe over three weeks. To be pretty sure you need to wait three weeks from the last mating with the wrong rooster before collecting eggs. Many breeders use three weeks. Four weeks is about as sure as you can get.

so if we get some mixes we can raise them as meat birds.
I'm not familiar with hedemora chickens. As long as you can tell the difference in the fathers by the looks of the chicks, I like that attitude.

I'll go through this, it might help.

It takes an egg about 25 hours to go through the hen's internal egg making factory. That egg can only be fertilized in the first few minutes of that journey. That means if a successful mating takes place on a Monday, Monday's egg cannot be fertile from that mating. Tuesday's egg night or might not be, depending on timing. Wednesday's egg will be.

A rooster does not mate with every hen in his flock every day, but he doesn't have to. In the last part of the mating act the rooster hops off, his part is done. The hen then stands up, fluffs up, and shakes. This fluffy shake moves the sperm to a special container near where the egg starts its internal journey. That sperm can stay viable for as little as nine days or maybe over three weeks. To be pretty sure you need to wait three weeks from the last mating with the wrong rooster before collecting eggs. Many breeders use three weeks. Four weeks is about as sure as you can get.

I'm not familiar with hedemora chickens. As long as you can tell the difference in the fathers by the looks of the chicks, I like that attitude.
Thank you so much. I didn't actually know that part why the hen do this shaking part,eve though we have seen it hundreds of times.

Hedemora is a swedish breed, so it's no wonder you don't know anything about them. It's a really nice breed, good brooding mama's and they are known to be especially calm, even the roosters.

But yes, I have no problem seeing differences between their eggs and the lohman, it's a big difference in color and size.

Back
Top Bottom