When to give layers pellets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewbyJan, Oct 31, 2010.

1. NewbyJan

NewbyJan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Littleborough
    our 4 hens are now about 20 weeks old. The Sussex has a very red comb and wattle but the others don't look as noticable! We have had no eggs as yet. When should we start to introduce layers pellets - once they actually start laying or should we be gradually mixing it into their growers pellets now so they are used to it by the time they start laying?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I start mine on layer right around 18 weeks or so, I just start mixing it in with the last of the starter. I do like to get them started on the layer right before they start laying.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some feel you should wait til you see an egg. But you are seeing one red comb, so those eggs are forming in there, we assume! I doubt it matters as long as you wait til about this age to start the layer. And don't waste your grower, just mix it in.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I mol do the same thing. I do usually wait until I get my first egg before I start the girls on layer. I usually get my first egg at around 16-18 weeks. If I have any starter/grower left I mix it in with the layer.

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well I just started getting eggs this week, yesterday in fact. I started my girls on layer pellets at about 23 weeks but think they got slowed down by the less light per day. These are the latest layers i have ever had. Think my egg today came from my wifes pretty little hatching that has been practicing for about two weeks. I say if one of.them looks ready then why not.

6. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I start mine at aabout 14-16 weeks on layer. Why not give them the protein they need for egg develpment before starting egg laying. It sortenly can't hurt, and besides they need the extra protein for feather develpoment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by