When to give my roo to a friend?

It's just you mentioned hanging on to him for a while and I would be fascinated to read what happens. If I had the room and the coop space I would wait and see if the hen will take him on. If she does, you have a new tribe possibly.
I've had a couple of orphan roosters in the past which none of the other tribes would take on which I looked out for for a few months until they got accepted by some hens as adults.
If all I had to do is watch chickens, I might try this. Although I don't want a completely different flock at the moments. We just started our chicken journey in March of this year. Having babies already was a surprise - although I do have outlets for them after I grow my flock to 12 hens and my rooster. I am thankful my friend is excited to get this little guy. He will be much happier. He just wants a friend he can hang with that isn't a towering human. She has already named him, so that makes me feel good. His name is Mordecai.

Attachments

• Mordecia 81722.jpg
    Mordecia 81722.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Mordecia2  81722.jpg
    Mordecia2 81722.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If all I had to do is watch chickens, I might try this. Although I don't want a completely different flock at the moments. We just started our chicken journey in March of this year. Having babies already was a surprise - although I do have outlets for them after I grow my flock to 12 hens and my rooster. I am thankful my friend is excited to get this little guy. He will be much happier. He just wants a friend he can hang with that isn't a towering human. She has already named him, so that makes me feel good. His name is Mordecai.
Mordecai is not with his new family and is already integrating
I just got confirmation on the what is it forum that this 30 day old chick is a cockerel. Here is the back story.

He/she is a little beat up b/c mom left it at 3.5 weeks old and the flock started picking on it. Only noticed it after a couple of days. Getting better, but it did have some open wounds which are healing. Separated it from the flock in a cage within the pen and it comes out when I am there to encourage and protect it. Rooster Cogburn does a little to protect, but not too much. I think it is b/c it is so antsy trying to find/stay with mom it invites others to try to chase it. Does fine in the coop at night with the flock. It was a lone hatch from one of our girls so it has no friends which is sad. Trying to get mom with two babies to accept it; slow process, but she is better today than she was 3 days ago.

I have a friend with 20 pullets that wants a roo. Her pullets are about 6-7 weeks old. I am wondering what age is the best to give her this little guy. Will he be okay if she took him now, or would it be better to let him go at 6, 7 or 8 weeks? She has Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers.

Also, if I keep him for a while, at what point will our rooster start to see him as a threat and beat him up, or will he?

Thank you for your kind replies.
Mordecai is now with his new family. They are slowing integrating him, but he ate with everyone and mostly was ignored. So that is good. He did some interacting and I think this will be a great match for him!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind advice.

I just got confirmation on the what is it forum that this 30 day old chick is a cockerel. Here is the back story.

He/she is a little beat up b/c mom left it at 3.5 weeks old and the flock started picking on it. Only noticed it after a couple of days. Getting better, but it did have some open wounds which are healing. Separated it from the flock in a cage within the pen and it comes out when I am there to encourage and protect it. Rooster Cogburn does a little to protect, but not too much. I think it is b/c it is so antsy trying to find/stay with mom it invites others to try to chase it. Does fine in the coop at night with the flock. It was a lone hatch from one of our girls so it has no friends which is sad. Trying to get mom with two babies to accept it; slow process, but she is better today than she was 3 days ago.

I have a friend with 20 pullets that wants a roo. Her pullets are about 6-7 weeks old. I am wondering what age is the best to give her this little guy. Will he be okay if she took him now, or would it be better to let him go at 6, 7 or 8 weeks? She has Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers.

Also, if I keep him for a while, at what point will our rooster start to see him as a threat and beat him up, or will he?

Thank you for your kind replies.
I wanted to update you all on Mordecai. He is doing wonderfully with his new family. All the girls have accepted him and he is on his way to being a flock leader/protector.

Thank you all for your advice.

Attachments

• 7177863638571910798.jpg
    7177863638571910798.jpg
    910.8 KB · Views: 7
  • -3008419885126858166.jpg
    -3008419885126858166.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 7
  • -1592100674155326986.jpg
    -1592100674155326986.jpg
    917.3 KB · Views: 7

Back