When to give them swimming water?

luvmyEs

Songster
8 Years
Dec 9, 2011
North Carolina
I have muscovy ducklings. I was told when I bought them not to let them swim until they have all of their feathers or they will drown. True? They spend all day sitting by the waterer and thanks to them we go through 3+ gallons a day.
smile.png
Also do they need swimming water in the winter? I live in NH.

It has more to do with them oiling themselves and not getting chilled. If it's warm enough my ducklings are all swimming by 2 weeks old. Also they don't need swimming water in winter but it does help them keep their feathers in prime condition.

I gave mine like a tiny cereal bowl with about an inch of water pretty much since the first day. I would put it in their cage every few hours with supervision. I would towel dry when they are finished. As they got older I would make their water bigger and more deep and eventually up to a kiddie pool. I always towel dried until the got their feathers in. Mind you it has been plenty warm so the swim was more refreshing.

Im no expert or anything, this just worked for me as a first timer but I have four pekin duckies, at a week old I let them swim in Luke warm water in the bathtub under SUPERVISION because they could get water logged and drown.. and only for 10 minutes At a time and only deep enough for them to touch bottom. As they got bigger I let them swim longer and deeper. I always made sure I dryed them off well after so they didn't get chilled.. But once they are fully feathered u can give them as much water as they want without supervision :) have fun!

The keys are the outside temp, the water temp and making sure the water isn't extreme in depth. I have a trio swimming in a small trough like rubber thing.. they manage just fine.. they are less than a month old.

My last duck had her babies in the water at about a week old, 'scovies love to dive!

i always let mine swim after about a week old but if you think about it where does mum take them they swim often before 2 days old so its not going to hurt them aslong as they're dried off after my ducklings where house kept so keeping them warm after wasnt an issue but if yours are outside cage kept i " wouldn't " have them swim in the evening before night time temp drop

Back
Top Bottom