When to give up?

Juliet512

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2020
Austin, Texas
I put 24 eggs into two incubators on Friday September 4th. Hatch Day was supposed to be Friday, September 25th; however, they started coming around 3:00 pm on Thursday, September 24th. Nine of them hatched before midnight on Thursday. Five more came yesterday (Friday) and two more were born after midnight but before 3:00 am when I went to check on them. I have 16 hatchlings total.

One of the eggs I'm pretty sure isn't going to make it. It was one of the first to start pipping on Thursday morning. I could see it's little beak poking out of the egg at times. But I haven't seen it move in over 24 hours so, I'm guessing he's just not going to make it. :(

When I candled the eggs, there was another egg that I thought possibly wasn't viable too. So, that leaves possible 6 eggs still viable. At what point do you really give up? I was thinking about letting it run another day. What do you think?

Out of the 24 eggs, six of them were Marans eggs (BCM and Blue Birchen). I got three BCM and one BB! Only two of my Lavendar Ameraucana eggs hatched. The rest are EEs and OEs.

Attachments

• IMG-3693.jpg
    IMG-3693.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 5
what ive done before after everybodys out and waited a couple extra days is i 'peck' a little hole right in the big end in the air pocket and just look and listen .. ive been very surprised before to have another one just hangin out taking its time lol ... but that way you can visually check without too much worry of hurting them before you just chuck them over the fence ..

what ive done before after everybodys out and waited a couple extra days is i 'peck' a little hole right in the big end in the air pocket and just look and listen .. ive been very surprised before to have another one just hangin out taking its time lol ... but that way you can visually check without too much worry of hurting them before you just chuck them over the fence ..

Thanks! I left 6 eggs in the incubator that I thought could still be viable. Today would be Day 24. I'm an astrologer and the Moon is about to move into the next sign (from Aquarius into Pisces). I've seen for many things when the moon changes signs, sometimes there is a movement in a different direction. We'll see!!!!

Back
Top Bottom