When to give up?

azrc

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Phoenix
My eggs are due to hatch today. I'd been candling the eggs with inconclusive results. I did throw out the clear eggs and something was growing in the ones that I left in the incubator, but I couldn't see through the shells enough to tell what.

Anyway, they've been 'locked down' for the last three days, but I hear no peeping from the eggs or any movement. How long should I wait before taking them out before they explode?

It can take longer than you think. I leave mine in at least 4 more days. Never had an exlosion, even 7 days later,
clap.gif

I just had the same thing happen to me. My temps were low.... BAD thermometer... Mine hatched day 23... Not as many as I had hoped. Just be patient.... The hardest thing for me! I'd give the another couple of days!!! Good luck!!

Last year I throw some eggs into the trash on day 24. An hour later, I heard peeping from the can. I apparently scared two into hatching.

Quote:
Thanks, I think I'm just more impatient to try again since I have a lot better idea what to expect this time around...and I have 80 eggs(!) waiting to have a go at it.

Quote:
If you can't see in the egg that means a chick is growing. Give them time. I never hear peeping it drives me nuts. Let us know how you make out.

Depending on how loud your incubator is, you might not be able to hear the peeping...I didn't hear any cheeps on my first hatch of 6 eggs, and I had to really strain to hear any on the last one, but I did catch them when I listened carefully. They were also not as easy to catch wiggling as the last hatch.

Back
Top Bottom