When to give up...

malia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
GA
One of the three RIRs that I hatched Sunday has spradle leg, I think. I noticed Monday night when it still wasn't getting around and it's right leg was out to the side and toes slightly curled. Well I immediately bandaged it's legs together with a bandaid like people have posted on this great website. I have been making sure to give it water several times a day with vitamins and it does eat some but not like the others. I have it in it's own brooding box. Ok, my question is when do I take the make shift bandage off and at what point do I know that it's not doing any good? It's leg has straightened out some and toes are straighter, but it still tries not to put any weight on it. I keep praying that one morning it will be running around when I go to check on them or at least standing up straight on both legs. Sorry this is such a long post. Wanted to give all the details.

Just be prepared....I've had two chicks with bum legs that I've tried to nurse along.

In both cases I was able to keep them going for several weeks, but in the end one succumed to the elements and the other I had to cull the other when it was clear that the chick was not able to get around on just one leg, and it was getting worse.

I don't know if it would have been 'easier' to cull when they were younger or older....but in the end culling was the most humane thing I could do when it was apparent there would be no reasonable quality of life.

I guess I'll give it till Sunday. If it hasn't improved then I will take it to my vet, b/c after spending so much time with it, I know I couldn't cull it. I am a strong believer that it is a gift we can provide for our animals to end their suffering but why is it so hard then. Gosh, I thought I prepared myself for these sort of things. I am really hoping the bandage will work. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom