1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JessicaAndHerChickens, Apr 11, 2009.

1. JessicaAndHerChickens

JessicaAndHerChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I was wondering when I can put my chicks outside. They are making a huge mess inside scratching around. I have an A frame enclosed coop with run. I am in North Carolina so the nights arent too bad. I would keep the lamp for them if needed. My New Hampshire Reds are a month old today and the Blue andalusians are about 3 weeks old. Is it too early for them to go outside???

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    5 weeks and they are feathered out sufficiently.

3. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I put my chicks outside @ 2.5wks w/their heating lamp, they are now 4.5wks. It got down to 29 degrees here a few nights ago & they all (knock on wood) are doing fine. Currently, I still have their heating lamp on & their coop is fairly weather-tight, so it stays fairly warm.

As we speak, they are out in their in their run foraging around for goodies. Its around 55 degrees here & the sun is out [​IMG]

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    As long as the nights are above freezing and you have a large enough heat lamp and deep bedding for them to snuggle down in they should be fine.

I put my chicks out at just under 5 weeks, and it was still freezing at night. They did just fine and are still growing like weeds.

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Silkies are a little different then most birds. The others have explained good time lines for regular feathered birds, and I dont know what kind of chickens you have but I thought I would add that these rules do not apply to silkies just in case.
    They tend to need to be inside a coop more often then others for a longer span of time then most during cold weather. So make sure you have a way to block drafts and winds. And you should be fine. [​IMG] have fun enjoying your birds responcibly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by