WHEN TO INCUBATE

ashyndin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I am in north Texas. I want to incubate a good number of eggs this season and this will be my first attempt at this. When is the appropriate time to place the eggs in the incubator? I have a large brooder but I don't want to keep them in there any longer than I need to.

Do you have a grow out pen or somewhere else for your chicks to go once they outgrow the brooder? It's not usually advisable to put chick in with the flock until they're approximately the same size--around 4ish months.

And do you have a plan or housing for the roosters you hatch out?

Last edited:
When is the best time to incubate? When you can and it suits your schedule and conditions.

I always have a five-day trip in March. I usually put eggs in the incubator just before I leave for that trip. If I top the water reservoir off just before I leave it will be fine until I get back. But I will not have a hatch date anywhere close to that trip. I did that once with a broody and she hatched two days early. That messed up the girl taking care of the chickens when I was gone. So fit it around your personal schedule.

My brooder is in the coop and not in the house so I don’t have any pressure from my wife to get them out of the house. So what facilities you have for brooding them needs to be assessed.

Where is your brooder and how warm can you keep it? You don’t have to heat up the entire universe for them, just provide a warm place for them to return to when they get cold. In really cold weather it’s not a bad idea to warm up the area where the food and water is a bit but this area does not have to be anywhere near the 90 degrees the first week and drop it 5 degrees a week you often read about on this forum.

How often do you have power failures and such, especially from winter weather? They don’t necessarily need the 90 degrees the first week and drop it 5 degrees a week you often see on here, but the colder it is the more they rely on that heat.

Why are you hatching them? What pressure do you have to hatch them early? I normally hatch some in March because that’s about 4 months before the chicken in my freezer runs out and I’ll need to start processing some more. That’s a personal decision you’ll have to make.

I don’t have a clue when is the right time for you to start hatching. That has to be based on your unique conditions and goals. Hopefully this will give you a few things to consider. Good luck!

Do you have a grow out pen or somewhere else for your chicks to go once they outgrow the brooder? It's not usually advisable to put chick in with the flock until they're approximately the same size--around 4ish months.

And do you have a plan or housing for the roosters you hatch out?
yes i do.
any roosters will be culled once they are the appropriate size.

When is the best time to incubate? When you can and it suits your schedule and conditions.

I always have a five-day trip in March. I usually put eggs in the incubator just before I leave for that trip. If I top the water reservoir off just before I leave it will be fine until I get back. But I will not have a hatch date anywhere close to that trip. I did that once with a broody and she hatched two days early. That messed up the girl taking care of the chickens when I was gone. So fit it around your personal schedule.

My brooder is in the coop and not in the house so I don’t have any pressure from my wife to get them out of the house. So what facilities you have for brooding them needs to be assessed.

Where is your brooder and how warm can you keep it? You don’t have to heat up the entire universe for them, just provide a warm place for them to return to when they get cold. In really cold weather it’s not a bad idea to warm up the area where the food and water is a bit but this area does not have to be anywhere near the 90 degrees the first week and drop it 5 degrees a week you often read about on this forum.

How often do you have power failures and such, especially from winter weather? They don’t necessarily need the 90 degrees the first week and drop it 5 degrees a week you often see on here, but the colder it is the more they rely on that heat.

Why are you hatching them? What pressure do you have to hatch them early? I normally hatch some in March because that’s about 4 months before the chicken in my freezer runs out and I’ll need to start processing some more. That’s a personal decision you’ll have to make.

I don’t have a clue when is the right time for you to start hatching. That has to be based on your unique conditions and goals. Hopefully this will give you a few things to consider. Good luck!
i will be brooding them indoor, i have a pretty large brooder that i made. reason for hatching some chicks is to stock the freezer and my daughter is saving for a horse so i told her that i would hatch her 50 or so to sell to add to her fund. i plan on hatching about 25 for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom