When to introduce momma and chicks to the flock

@ MSWingate - only on calves that we want a cow to take. I have never used it on chicks. And on calves I use the real vanilla - it is a good excuse to keep it in my cupboard.

For chicks - the best way for me, is to make sure everyone gets a drink of water, then take them outside and let them get chilled, they should be peeping madly, and wanting a warm spot pretty badly - 5-10 minutes. Then stick them under her in the dark has always worked for me.

Mrs K

@ MSWingate - only on calves that we want a cow to take. I have never used it on chicks. And on calves I use the real vanilla - it is a good excuse to keep it in my cupboard.

For chicks - the best way for me, is to make sure everyone gets a drink of water, then take them outside and let them get chilled, they should be peeping madly, and wanting a warm spot pretty badly - 5-10 minutes. Then stick them under her in the dark has always worked for me.

Mrs K
I bought 2 Jubliee's 2 days old. Brought them out to the coop chirping loudly. With just the small overhead light on the outside of the coop, put them under the hen in the very dim light. The chirping went to peeping to silence. I did remove two eggs and boy it was nice and warm under there. Here's hoping. I did not use the vanilla. Thanks for sharing and posting with me, I appreciate your knowledge and time. I'll keep you posted, fingers crossed.

I think you are golden, when that distress sound silences with just a peep, and then silence that is a good sign.
When to the coop after work, hen and chicks out of nestbox, one under hen the other on deaths door. Next to hen but lifeless. I started massage and brought in house for heat, chick is now warm and HAPPY. I brought the other one in so they are together. Not sure what when wrong

Back
Top Bottom