When to introduce momma and chicks to the flock

tonbetter

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2021
Central NC
Hello. We have a new momma. She went broody on us and on her 3rd week we happened to get our shipment of chicks in that we ordered from Cackle. We put them under her on night 1 and she has taken to all of them. We created a nursery under the coop so all of the flock can come by and see them. The question I have is when can we start introducing during the free-range period that we try to give our flock in the evenings. Tonight will be 1 week since we put them under her.
IMG-4733.jpg

Hi, @tonbetter!
Your hen and baby chicks are absolutely adorable!
There are a couple of factors to consider when you start planning on integrating the chicks and their mom back into the flock.
For example, are all of your chickens very gentle and sweet, or are a few of them more prone to being aggressive?
If some of your chickens are more aggressive, you'll want to keep a good eye on them when you introduce the babies, because while some of your chickens might be more than happy with the new members, some of them could possibly injure or kill the chicks if aggravated.
That said, the first time my hen hatched a chick, I let the two of them sit in a separate area in the coop for several days. On the warmer days, I let the rest of the flock free-range while I let mamma and her baby explore the coop and run.
I then started to free-range the two with the rest of the flock while under supervision, and then placed them back in their separate area for nighttime.
Eventually, they were sleeping in the coop with the rest of the birds! (Although, disclaimer - now the chick and her mom are back in the separate area, as more siblings hatched and I want to keep the younger ones safe! 😅 )
While it's good to keep in mind the age, I feel that there are a few other things to remember.
  • Weather - is it really cold or wet? The mamma and babies may want to focus on staying warm and safe without worrying about bullies in the flock. Try to keep the little ones separate until environmental factors don't play a role in their well-being, as the elements can make them more vulnerable.
  • Food - make sure that there is plenty of food to go around - if you feed your flock with just one dish, consider putting more dishes around the run so that everyone has access. Additionally, consider offering All-Flock or Flock-Raiser when your babies are still little, instead of Layer Feed. The reason behind this is that the calcium in Layer Feed can damage a chick's kidney. All-Flock or something similar is a great alternative until the chicks start laying, as everyone in the flock can eat it - you just might want to offer a calcium supplement, such as oyster shell, to your laying hens in a separate dish.
  • Space - your chickens will feel a lot more at ease if they have some space to move around! (Because you're free-ranging, this shouldn't be a problem.) Additionally, consider making a safe space for your babies to run to for shelter if there's a bully.
  • Temperament - as mentioned, you may have a couple of birds that are more aggressive. Try to introduce the chicks to them when the flock isn't hungry or bored, and make sure that they have lots of space. I've found that sometimes, members in my flock will be more grumpy on certain days, and then I refrain from letting the newbies mingle with them. It's okay if the time they spend together isn't consistent, especially at first! For example, on warm, sunny days when my flock is free-ranging, I like to let the chicks out with them. But on days when it's cold, or the flock is more aggravated, I let them have a break and keep the babies inside.
  • Health - Are any of your chicks sick, or do they have any abnormalities? You might want to keep them separate until they're stronger and healthier, as weak birds can be a target for bullying.

I do have to apologize - I didn't realize that I was going to write so much! But, in a summary of your situation, I would wait until it's a nice, pleasant day outside. When the birds are all fed, maybe in the afternoon, let them out to free-range with the chicks, and keep a close eye on them. You may want to let the chicks free-range with mamma without the older birds, just so they can get used to the great unknown.
You may notice the older hens coming up to visit the chicks, or investigating them. They might even give a light peck. That's alright. However, if any of them start to peck more aggressively, or attack in general, remove the adult bird from the situation and make sure that the little ones are okay. If the rest of the birds are fine with them, however, let them continue to free-range, just keeping the aggressive one separate.
I would recommend doing this for multiple days, when possible. If the chickens seem to be receptive to the new members, consider slowly introducing them into the run (If you have one). Keep a close eye on them, and make sure that they have a safe spot to go to if needed. I recommend, once again, doing this in the afternoon, when the rest of the flock isn't hungry and grumpy. If they seem okay with this, you could then start letting them out in the morning with them. However, if you have any suspicion of bullying, don't leave them alone with the flock.
Eventually, you can start putting them to bed in the coop - although not encouraged in older birds, you could let the mamma and her babies sleep in a separate nesting box, or something similar, and then let them out in the morning with the rest of the flock. There may be some squabbles, but it should work out in the end.
Of course, some flocks are very receptive, and some people can have the chicks sleeping in the coop on the same night the flock meets them! It all depends on how the flock reacts to new members. See how your flock does with them, and adjust the plan accordingly.
Regarding age, I think that once they start to have feathers coming in is a good time. Depending on the breed, the weather, and the temperament of the rest of your flock, I think you could start introducing as early as one week to three weeks.
Once again, I'm sorry that this was such a long post! I hope you found it helpful in some way, and best of luck! ❤️

I would let them out immediately. As you wait, the broody hormones begin to fall. Those are the hormones that cause her to defend the chicks. The longer you leave them separated, the more strange she appears to the flock. Even if they can see her, it is not the same as being in the flock.
I would let the layers out of the coop/run and then let the broody out of her area with the chicks. Then let the broody hen decide when she is ready to take them out.

I would just remove the barrier and let the broody do the rest. She will protect the chicks, and the others should not bother her much at all.

A lot of people want to wait until the chicks are bigger and stronger, but by week 3-4, the broody hen begins to forget her chicks, and she will have a struggle getting herself back into the flock, let alone the chicks.

I leave my broody hen in with the flock. I used to worry about locking out the layer hens, but I don't anymore. If you let the broody hen do it and not interfere, she will introduce them to the flock. Much better way.

Mrs K

Hello. We have a new momma. She went broody on us and on her 3rd week we happened to get our shipment of chicks in that we ordered from Cackle. We put them under her on night 1 and she has taken to all of them. We created a nursery under the coop so all of the flock can come by and see them. The question I have is when can we start introducing during the free-range period that we try to give our flock in the evenings. Tonight will be 1 week since we put them under her. View attachment 3092172
Hello tonbetter,

Just reading up on introducing day old chicks to a broody hen. My broody hen has been in the box for a week, we pick up our chicks Saturday. I am hoping all goes well. I have a few questions if you have time.

1. You put the chicks in at night, how did you monitor them? Did you have a heat plate in the area? I have a brooder set up (which has the box the hen is sitting in) under my poop deck/roost" to keep mom and chicks separate but within sight of the other 7 hens.

2. Your initial introduction was during free range, did they actually free range or just explore the run?

3. What did you do with them during the day (stay in the brooder area?) before you had them with the rest of the flock full time? or did you have a separate run for them?

4. How soon did you let them mingle with the rest of the flock on a full time basis?

Any tips you can give me would be appreciated, including threads or site you went to for information. I have been researching, but it's nice to reach out to someone that has recently done this. Thanks

MSWingate - do not add a heat plate. And this will only work with very fresh chicks. 2-3 days old. The relationship between them needs to go both ways - the chicks need to recognize that under the broody is a good place to be. And the hen needs to accept the chicks.

The best way to do it, is with fresh chicks, make sure they have a good drink of water. And it sounds crazy, but the chicks need to be a wee bit cold so that they are actively searching for a warm place to be. They will be peeping madly. Let the hen listen to that from a distance for a couple of minutes as in outside the coop.

Then in complet darkness, with just the minimum light, wearing a sweatshirt and gloves as she may peck, stick them in underneath her. Then hen will shift around, and often begin a clucking sound. The peeping should stop.

Then the hard part. You NEED TO LEAVE. Do not watch, do not interfere. Many times people do not succeed because they are so worried that it won't work, they interfere too much.

My hens have always left the nest around 24 hours, and created a new spot on the floor. Getting them down 3 feet somehow. I have created nests for this purpose, but they have never used mine. Always creating a different one. Now, I just put clean bedding in the coop, and let her decide.

Mrs K

MSWingate - do not add a heat plate. And this will only work with very fresh chicks. 2-3 days old. The relationship between them needs to go both ways - the chicks need to recognize that under the broody is a good place to be. And the hen needs to accept the chicks.

The best way to do it, is with fresh chicks, make sure they have a good drink of water. And it sounds crazy, but the chicks need to be a wee bit cold so that they are actively searching for a warm place to be. They will be peeping madly. Let the hen listen to that from a distance for a couple of minutes as in outside the coop.

Then in complet darkness, with just the minimum light, wearing a sweatshirt and gloves as she may peck, stick them in underneath her. Then hen will shift around, and often begin a clucking sound. The peeping should stop.

Then the hard part. You NEED TO LEAVE. Do not watch, do not interfere. Many times people do not succeed because they are so worried that it won't work, they interfere too much.

My hens have always left the nest around 24 hours, and created a new spot on the floor. Getting them down 3 feet somehow. I have created nests for this purpose, but they have never used mine. Always creating a different one. Now, I just put clean bedding in the coop, and let her decide.

Mrs K
Mrs K, the chicks I bought are about 10 days...too old?

I am pretty sure too old. You might get lucky, but I have never tried anything that old. I don't think it will be the hen's fault, the chicks won't look to her.

I am pretty sure too old. You might get lucky, but I have never tried anything that old. I don't think it will be the hen's fault, the chicks won't look to her.
Your right, many articles are saying the same thing. Now to break my broody hen...she is not happy. aart had a broody hen breaker set up, thinking about giving it a try. What do you do with a broody hen?

well...I might try it, just to make sure. sneak 5 under her in the dark... and see. IF she would take them, sneak the rest under her the next night.

I have always caved and give my broody chicks or eggs.

Back
Top Bottom