When to introduce separate flocks?

Funsarah

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
Southern CA
I have 2 flocks, 16 weeks, and 7-8 ish weeks, 4 in each. I put the little ones out with the older ones, and of course the older ones chase the little ones and peck at them. I feel bad leaving the little ones separate in the brooder box all day, and the older ones free range all day. I don't have time to keep them separate, I'd like to let them all wander the yard. I would think the little ones would learn to avoid the big ones, but I'm new to this. Is this OK? Or is it setting a "bad" pecking order that will stick if I introduce them this young?

Let the littles spend the day in the coop and run, while the olders range all day.
Do that for a few days then let them all range together.
How big is your cop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

I don't have time to keep them separate, I'd like to let them all wander the yard.
Well, you'll have to spend some time, effort, and awareness to get them integrated.
Unfortunately, chickens are not 'plug and play' :gig

Here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Let the littles spend the day in the coop and run, while the olders range all day.
Do that for a few days then let them all range together.
How big is your cop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Well, you'll have to spend some time, effort, and awareness to get them integrated.
Unfortunately, chickens are not 'plug and play' :gig

Here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Plug and play, haha! I like that. I get what you’re saying, but what I mean is I don’t have time to let the little ones have time outside and we keep chasing them and putting them back and then giving them more time… I have them in a separate router box in the garage and then the older ones live in their coop/run outside. I have several kids and I work so I meant I don’t really have the time to be on top of them as much as I’d like. I do spend a lot of time trying to learn about the best thing to do.
I have attached a picture of the run, I was told it’s big enough for four. But a friend of mine said that really only applies if they live in there, if they’re free ranging all day and only using it for sleep, I can fit up to eight. I’m sorry I don’t have the dimensions offhand.

Thank you so much for all this helpful advice I greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• 50AEF116-0AF6-4030-BD22-E6B47AADEAED.jpeg
    50AEF116-0AF6-4030-BD22-E6B47AADEAED.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 5
I have attached a picture of the run, I was told it’s big enough for four. But a friend of mine said that really only applies if they live in there, if they’re free ranging all day and only using it for sleep, I can fit up to eight.
I'd guess the coop (upper enclosed portion where they sleep) is no bigger than maybe 3x3'....big enough for 2-3 birds. Tight space all around for 4 birds let alone integrating more. Free ranging does not make up for tight space in coop/run.
Those tiny coops mislead many a newbie chickeneer.

You might seriously consider a bigger set up....more space makes everything less time consuming....especially if you live in a cold climate.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1598130621959.png

I'd guess the coop (upper enclosed portion where they sleep) is no bigger than maybe 3x3'....big enough for 2-3 birds. Tight space all around for 4 birds let alone integrating more. Free ranging does not make up for tight space in coop/run.
Those tiny coops mislead many a newbie chickeneer.

You might seriously consider a bigger set up....more space makes everything less time consuming....especially if you live in a cold climate.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2301667
Hi Aart, thank you so for the helpful info!! I would say you're right, about 3x3. I started w/ 4 but thought it was ok to add more as they free range. I live in southern ca, it’s like 95 today.

I will add my location, thx!

I have the four females and two from my new flock are definitely females. One is most likely a rooster and the other one is a tiny olive Egger that doesn’t seem to be growing so I’m not sure how that one is going to pan out. It’s like 1/3 the size of the others. I might end up having to give that one back to the guy I got it from, as well as the Rooster. So I’ll have at most 7 (if we keep OE).

Back
Top Bottom